Washington signing Cam Newton 'depends on circumstances'
Washington Redskins head coach Ron Rivera said adding free agent quarterback Cam Newton "depends on circumstances."
"I think with Cam (Newton), and I have thought about it, I mean, it's something that's run through my mind, and it's about the situation and circumstances. I'm not sure I would do it. I'm not sure if I wouldn't do it," Rivera offered. "You know, the thing about Cam really is the situation ... We're in a situation where we've got two really young quarterbacks, one that's been with us, been in the system, understands how we want things done and the other one is a guy who was taken last year in the first round and shows some promise." Washington and other teams are probably waiting until they can conduct a full physical before making a decision on Newton. The veteran quarterback only made it through the first two games last season before succumbing to a foot injury and he's also undergone multiple surgeries on his throwing shoulder since 2016. He turns 31 in less than two weeks.
Cam averaged 8.8 FanDuel points with 286.0 passing yards and no touchdowns in two appearances last season. His 5.9 adjusted yards per pass attempt marked a new career-low. He also took away a personal-worst .04 expected points per play, ranking 39th out of 46 quarterbacks with 90-plus dropbacks.
- Cowboys "might have some interest" in David Njoku July 3rd, 2020
- Browns tight end David Njoku has requested to be traded July 3rd, 2020
- Bengals defensive back Trae Waynes has not taken physical July 3rd, 2020
- 49ers' D.J. Reed suffers torn pectoral July 3rd, 2020
- Seahawks a potential landing spot for Antonio Brown July 3rd, 2020
- Browns' Jordan Elliott signs rookie contract July 2nd, 2020
- Cam Newton only guaranteed $550K from Patriots July 2nd, 2020
- Howe: Cam Newton 'wasn't guaranteed the Patriots starting job' June 30th, 2020
- Cam Newton recommended to Patriots by Norv Turner June 29th, 2020
- Jarrett Stidham reportedly still in Patriots' QB competition June 29th, 2020
- Cam Newton reportedly agrees with Patriots on 1-year deal June 28th, 2020
- Patriots' Mohamed Sanu 'faster, quicker, leaner' post-surgery June 24th, 2020