Damien Harris could be part of backfield combo in New England
New England Patriots running back Damien Harris could be part of "a potentially nice one-two combination" with Sony Michel, writes Mike Reiss of ESPN.com.
Harris was limited to just two rookie appearances last season after being selected in the third round, totaling 12 yards on 4 carries. Reiss believes the negligible playing time was due to the Patriots having a surplus of healthy backs and "a lack of special-teams contributions." Harris should definitely see more work in his second year, but it may require an injury for him to earn consistent volume. In addition to Michel, James White, Rex Burkhead, and Brandon Bolden are all still on the roster.
Harris rushed 16 times for 88 yards (5.5 per attempt) and caught 4 passes (4 targets) for 23 yards in two preseason games for the Patriots last season. Per Pro Football Focus, he graded 19th in running (62.1) and 14th overall (64.0) among the 42 rookie backs with 10-plus carries.
- Browns' Jordan Elliott signs rookie contract July 2nd, 2020
- Le'Veon Bell 'training like a mad man' for second Jets season July 2nd, 2020
- Tavon Young (neck) 'ready to go' for Ravens July 2nd, 2020
- Kendrick Bourne extension discussed by 49ers July 2nd, 2020
- 49ers' Deebo Samuel reportedly dealing with 'classic' Jones fracture July 2nd, 2020
- Trent Taylor may wind up being 49ers' third receiver July 2nd, 2020
- Cam Newton only guaranteed $550K from Patriots July 2nd, 2020
- Howe: Cam Newton 'wasn't guaranteed the Patriots starting job' June 30th, 2020
- Cam Newton recommended to Patriots by Norv Turner June 29th, 2020
- Jarrett Stidham reportedly still in Patriots' QB competition June 29th, 2020
- Cam Newton reportedly agrees with Patriots on 1-year deal June 28th, 2020
- Patriots' Mohamed Sanu 'faster, quicker, leaner' post-surgery June 24th, 2020