Shaun Hill to open season as Vikings' starting quarterback
Minnesota Vikings quarterback Shaun Hill will open the season as the team's starting quarterback.
Hill will spend much of his time under center executing handoffs to Adrian Peterson. Hill appeared in nine games with the Los Angeles Rams in 2014, completing 63.3 percent of his throws with just eight touchdowns and seven interceptions. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Matt Vensel also opined that the Vikings don't think they can "get by" with Hill for 16 games. Vensel believes the Vikings will look outside the organization for another quarterback, though he does report the team "likes" the currently injured Taylor Heinicke, who is not expected to be able to practice for another three weeks. As for veteran options, the Vikings were one of the teams linked to Nick Foles this offseason, or they might try to pry Josh McCown away from the Cleveland Browns.
Among the 39 quarterbacks with at least 150 drop back in 2014, Hill's 0.01 Passing Net Expected Points per drop back ranked 29th while starting in eight games for the St. Louis Rams.
- Cowboys' Dak Prescott (shoulder) diagnosed with muscle strain, exits practice early on Wednesday July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Kenyan Drake placed on non-football injury list July 28th, 2021
- Jets' Chris Herndon working with second string July 28th, 2021
- Michael Carter opens camp with Jets' first team July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Henry Ruggs focusing on playing stronger July 28th, 2021
- Justin Jackson placed on Chargers' COVID-19 list July 27th, 2021
- Vikings not eyeing larger role for Irv Smith Jr. in 2021 season June 13th, 2021
- Alexander Mattison (concussion) not listed on Minnesota's Week 17 injury report January 1st, 2021
- Minnesota's Alexander Mattison (concussion) participates in Wednesday's practice December 30th, 2020
- Dalvin Cook away from Vikings for family emergency, out Week 17 December 30th, 2020
- Vikings' Kyle Rudolph (foot) placed on injured reserve December 29th, 2020
- Vikings' Alexander Mattison (concussion) ruled out for Friday's matchup against New Orleans December 24th, 2020