Panthers planning on training camp quarterback competition
Carolina Panthers quarterback Sam Darnold is not expected to be traded, per team reporter Joe Person.
Person adds that the Panthers "envision a training camp competition" between Darnold and the newly-acquired Baker Mayfield. Despite the Panthers' visions, Mayfield is widely expected to win the starting job for Week 1. Darnold is guaranteed $18.86 million in 2022 and he's bad at his job, so there isn't much incentive for any team to trade for him.
numberFire's models currently expect Baker to win the starting job and rank him as the QB26 in our preseason projections. Among the 44 quarterbacks with at least 100 drop backs last season, Baker ranked 33rd in Passing Net Expected Points per drop back (0.00) while Darnold ranked 38th (negative-0.10).
- Eagles' DeVonta Smith (back) logs full practice on Thursday September 29th, 2022
- Cardinals' James Conner (knee) limited again on Thursday September 29th, 2022
- Cardinals' Rondale Moore (hamstring) limited again on Thursday September 29th, 2022
- Raiders' Hunter Renfrow (concussion) DNP again on Thursday September 29th, 2022
- Bears' David Montgomery (ankle, knee) absent again on Thursday September 29th, 2022
- Dalvin Cook (shoulder) returns to full Vikings practice Thursday September 29th, 2022
- Carolina's Christian McCaffrey (quad) DNP on Wednesday September 28th, 2022
- Christian McCaffrey (ankle) good to go for Panthers September 23rd, 2022
- Carolina's Christian McCaffrey (ankle) limited during Thursday's practice September 22nd, 2022
- Christian McCaffrey (shin) not listed on Carolina's Week 1 injury report September 9th, 2022
- Panthers' Christian McCaffrey (shin) logs full practice on Thursday September 8th, 2022
- Robbie Anderson (quad) not listed on Carolina's Wednesday injury report September 7th, 2022