Michael Carter tabbed 'eventual 1A' for Jets backfield
New York Jets fourth-round rookie running back Michael Carter is expected to emerge as the "eventual 1A" in the Jets' backfield, writes Connor Hughes of The Athletic.
The Jets are expected to use a backfield rotation this season consisting of Carter, Tevin Coleman, and Ty Johnson. Carter was also limited to committee work in college, and at 5-foot-8 and 201 pounds, the fourth-round pick may not have the size to handle a workhorse role in the NFL. That being said, Hughes believes Carter's catching ability separates him from Coleman and Johnson, and will result in the rookie earning the most touches in the backfield.
numberFire's models currently project Carter to lead the Jets' backfield across the board as a rookie, with 138.3 carries, 594.6 rush yards, 35.2 catches (47.2 targets), 243.4 receiving yards, and 5.13 touchdowns. Coleman is projected for 114.7 carries and 12.6 catches, with Johnson pegged for 83.2 rush attempts and 10.3 receptions. Carter is the RB34 in our preseason fantasy rankings, followed by Coleman (RB48) and then Johnson (RB59).
- Colts' Carson Wentz reportedly sprained both ankles September 20th, 2021
- Rapoport: Andy Dalton has knee bone bruise, Week 3 status for Bears TBD September 20th, 2021
- Will Fuller (personal) returns to Dolphins' facility Monday September 20th, 2021
- Henry Ruggs records 113 yards, touchdown for Raiders September 20th, 2021
- Tua Tagovailoa (ribs) considered day-to-day for Dolphins September 20th, 2021
- Steelers' Dionatae Johnson (knee) avoids long-term injury September 20th, 2021
- Jets' Denzel Mims inactive for Week 2 showdown with New England September 19th, 2021
- Jets' Jamison Crowder (groin) inactive for Week 2 September 19th, 2021
- Jets' Keelan Cole (knee) questionable for Week 2 clash with Patriots September 17th, 2021
- Jamison Crowder (groin) limited for Jets Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Jamison Crowder (COVID) could return for Jets in Week 2 September 13th, 2021
- Jets losing top OL Mekhi Becton (knee) 4-6 weeks September 13th, 2021