James Robinson expected to lead Jaguars' backfield in snaps
Jacksonville Jaguars running back James Robinson is expected to lead the backfield in snaps, per John Shipley of Jaguar Report.
Robinson racked up the sixth-most touches in the NFL during his rookie season, but he will be at risk of reduced volume in 2021 after the Jaguars selected Travis Etienne in the first round of this year's draft. "Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has shown a past tendency to give more of his offense's rushing focus to backs with skill sets similar Robinson in the past," Shipley writes. "Robinson should be expected to be the hammer of the offense, a role that is still supremely important." Shipley believes that "the Jaguars have bigger and more expansive plans for" Etienne, possibly putting Robinson in a position to still dominate carries and goal-line work.
numberFire's models currently project Robinson for 164.0 carries and 701.9 yards with 4.5 rushing touchdowns in his second season. Etienne, meanwhile, is expected to handle 151.7 carries and also catch 87.4 catches for 1,217.2 yards from scrimmage. Robinson is the RB37 and Etienne is the RB24 in our preseason fantasy rankings.
- Cowboys' Dak Prescott (shoulder) diagnosed with muscle strain, exits practice early on Wednesday July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Kenyan Drake placed on non-football injury list July 28th, 2021
- Jets' Chris Herndon working with second string July 28th, 2021
- Michael Carter opens camp with Jets' first team July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Henry Ruggs focusing on playing stronger July 28th, 2021
- Justin Jackson placed on Chargers' COVID-19 list July 27th, 2021
- Meyer: Trevor Lawrence "not ready yet" to be named Jaguars' Week 1 starter June 27th, 2021
- James Robinson expected to lead Jaguars' backfield in snaps June 18th, 2021
- Jaguars' Laviska Shenault impressing during OTAs June 13th, 2021
- Jaguars reportedly sign Marvin Jones to 2-year, $9.2 million fully guaranteed deal March 16th, 2021
- Jags sign running back Carlos Hyde March 15th, 2021
- Rapoport: Alex Smith, Washington to part ways March 1st, 2021