49ers place Jimmy Garoppolo on IR with high-ankle sprain
The San Francisco 49ers placed quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo on injured reserve with a high-ankle sprain.
Garoppolo suffered a new ankle sprain that is worse than the one he endured in Week 2. There is hope that Garoppolo may be able to return by the end of December, but he could ultimately wind up requiring season-ending surgery. Nick Mullens will start Thursday night's Week 9 game against the Green Bay Packers. It's mostly a lateral move for the 49ers' offense and pass-catchers.
Mullens earned Pro Football Focus' fifth-highest grade among quarterbacks after coming off the bench for Garoppolo in Week 8. He is adding 0.3 Passing Net Expected Points per dropback and has an average depth of target of 7.2 yards, compared to 0.2 Passing NEP and 6.5 yards for Garoppolo. Mullens is the QB19 in numberFire's Week 9 fantasy rankings. Our models project him for 17.6 FanDuel points and he has a salary of $6,500, tied for lowest among all starting quarterbacks.
- Saints' Taysom Hill (knee) questionable for Sunday's clash with Tampa Bay January 15th, 2021
- Saints list Latavius Murray (quad) as questionable for Sunday's Divisional playoff contest against Buccaneers January 15th, 2021
- Mike Evans (knee) hoping to be closer to 100 percent for Buccaneers in Divisional Round January 15th, 2021
- Clyde Edwards-Helaire (hip) listed as questionable on Kansas City's Divisional playoff injury report January 15th, 2021
- Browns activate LG Joel Bitonio from reserve/COVID-19 list January 15th, 2021
- Kansas City's Sammy Watkins (calf) ruled out for Sunday's Divisional playoff matchup against Browns January 15th, 2021
- San Francisco's Trent Williams (elbow) out for Week 17's contest against Seahawks December 28th, 2020
- Brandon Aiyuk out for 49ers' finale with high-ankle sprain December 28th, 2020
- 49ers' George Kittle (foot) active for Week 16 December 26th, 2020
- 49ers officially place Nick Mullens (elbow) on injured reserve December 25th, 2020
- 49ers activate George Kittle (foot) from injured reserve, available for Week 16's game against Cardinals December 24th, 2020
- 49ers sign Josh Rosen from Tampa Bay's practice squad December 22nd, 2020