49ers' D.J. Reed suffers torn pectoral
NBC Sports' Matt Maiocco reported that San Francisco 49ers defensive back D.J. Reed sustained a torn pectoral muscle.
The injury could potentially sideline Reed into the season. Reed has not made much of an impact on the defensive side of the ball since entering the league as a fifth round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, but was a contributor on special teams. While he did not return kicks in 2019, he did average an impressive 30.2 yards per return on 11 kick returns in 2018. If Reed is not healthy to start the season, it could help wide receiver Richie James secure a final roster spot.
Reed has not impressed on the defensive side of ball. While he has only been targeted 28 times over the past two seasons, he allowed 22 receptions for 238 yards and 2 touchdowns on those targets.
- Ronald Jones the 'main guy' in Tampa Bay August 9th, 2020
- Tampa Bay's Ke'Shawn Vaughn removed from reserve/COVID-19 list August 9th, 2020
- Browns' Jarvis Landry (hip) activated from active/PUP list August 8th, 2020
- Lions' T.J. Hockenson removed from reserve/COVID-19 list August 8th, 2020
- Washington releases Derrius Guice after domestic-violence incident August 7th, 2020
- Eagles re-sign defensive end Vinny Curry to one-year deal August 7th, 2020
- 49ers sign tight end Jordan Reed August 3rd, 2020
- 49ers expect George Kittle to report to training camp on time July 28th, 2020
- 49ers' Deebo Samuel (foot) "might miss some games" to start the season July 28th, 2020
- 49ers' Richie James lands on reserve/COVID-19 list July 27th, 2020
- 49ers restructure Raheem Mostert's contract July 27th, 2020
- 49ers Jerick McKinnon (knee) responding well to offseason work July 25th, 2020