Hunter Strickland named Giants' closer to fill in for Mark Melancon (forearm)
San Francisco Giants reliever Hunter Strickland will take over closing duties while Mark Melancon (forearm) is out, manager Bruce Bochy announced.
Bochy previously said Sam Dyson would also be in the mix but he plainly stated on Thursday that Strickland will handle save chances for the Giants while Melancon is out for what is expected to be "a couple weeks." The 29-year-old right-hander turned in a 0.00 ERA this spring.
numberFire's models project Strickland to record a 3.34 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and 20.9 strikeout percentage this season.
- Philadelphia's Andrew McCutchen (knee) ready for 2020 season April 4th, 2020
- Cubs-Cardinals London Series officially canceled April 1st, 2020
- Astros' Justin Verlander (groin) on schedule, doing well March 31st, 2020
- Red Sox's Chris Sale undergoes Tommy John March 30th, 2020
- Mets' Noah Syndergaard reportedly requires Tommy John for elbow injury March 24th, 2020
- Sam Tuivailala released by Mariners March 20th, 2020
- Nationals defeat Astros in Game 7, Stephen Strasburg named World Series MVP October 31st, 2019
- Kurt Suzuki (hip) scratched from Nationals' Game 7 lineup, Yan Gomes now catching Max Scherzer October 30th, 2019
- Asdrubal Cabrera starting for Nationals in Game 6 October 29th, 2019
- Washington's Max Scherzer (neck) scratched, Joe Ross to start in Game 5 October 27th, 2019
- Nationals' Howie Kendrick returns to the lineup for Game 4 of the World Series on Saturday October 26th, 2019
- Nationals' Yan Gomes catching World Series Game 4 on Saturday October 26th, 2019