Red Sox offer J.D. Martinez five-year, $100 million deal
According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Boston Red Sox have offered free agent outfielder J.D. Martinez a five-year, $100 million contract.
Previous reports said that the Red Sox were holding out for Martinez and that they had offered him a five-year deal. Olney now has the numbers, which are nowhere near the seven-year, $180-210 million deal Martinez and agent Scott Boras are looking for. The 30-year-old could remain on the market into spring training.
Between the Detroit Tigers and Arizona Diamondbacks a year ago, Martinez bombed 45 home runs and drove in 104 RBI in 119 games. His .430 wOBA represented a career-high through 7 seasons.
- Kenley Jansen (heart) feels "great", hoping to return next week August 17th, 2018
- Cubs-Pirates expected to start at 8:50 PM ET on Friday August 17th, 2018
- Marlins' Jose Urena to appeal his six-game suspension August 17th, 2018
- Martin Maldonado starting for Astros on Friday night August 17th, 2018
- Astros' Tony Kemp not starting on Friday night August 17th, 2018
- Max Stassi heading back to Astros' bench on Friday August 17th, 2018
- Rafael Devers (hamstring) heads back to Red Sox DL August 17th, 2018
- Rafael Devers out of the lineup for Boston August 17th, 2018
- Red Sox' Sandy Leon out against Tampa August 17th, 2018
- Blake Swihart catching for Boston against the Rays August 17th, 2018
- Boston's Brock Holt returns to the bench on Friday August 17th, 2018
- Boston's Mookie Betts back in action on Friday August 17th, 2018