Steve Cishek blows first opportunity as Seattle's ninth-inning struggles continue
Seattle Mariners closer Steve Cishek gave up a two-run home run in the ninth inning on Tuesday to blow a 5-4 lead in Seattle's 9-6 loss to the Oakland Athletics.
The arrow was pointing upward for Cishek following the Mariners' demotion of Edwin Diaz on Tuesday, but he failed mightily in his first save opportunity of the season. The 30-year-old right-hander surrendered a single to start out the ninth, putting the tying run on base before Matt Joyce rocketed a two-run go-ahead shot. This was only Cishek's second appearance of 2017 after he opened the year on the shelf while rehabbing from hip surgery. Tuesday's results could lead to more opportunity for Tony Zych, Nick Vincent and Marc Rzepczynski as manager Scott Servais tries to figure out what to do with his bullpen in the ninth inning. Rzepczynski replaced Cishek in the ninth on Tuesday and proceeded to give up a three-run home run.
The Mariners' bullpen is leading the majors both in ERA (5.45) and blown saves (10) this season. They're 8-for-18 on save chances so far in 2017.
- Julio Urias will start 2020 season in Dodgers' rotation February 22nd, 2020
- Seattle's Mitch Haniger (back) out at least another month February 20th, 2020
- Toronto's Vladimir Guerrero Jr. likely to bat cleanup in 2020 February 20th, 2020
- Yankees' Aaron Judge (shoulder) 'dealing with crankiness and soreness' February 18th, 2020
- Cardinals' Miles Mikolas (forearm) shut down 3-4 weeks February 18th, 2020
- Brewers reportedly agree to deal with Brock Holt on Monday February 17th, 2020
- Ross: Cubs 'committed' to Kris Bryant as leadoff hitter in 2020 February 20th, 2020
- Ben Zobrist starting for Cubs in final game of season September 29th, 2019
- Willson Contreras catching Sunday afternoon for Cubs September 29th, 2019
- David Bote starting at third base for the Cubs on Saturday September 28th, 2019
- Addison Russell returns to the Cubs' lineup on Saturday September 28th, 2019
- Cubs' Jonathan Lucroy hitting in the fifth spot on Saturday September 28th, 2019