Mets' Zack Wheeler (elbow) experiences some pain after bullpen session
New York Mets starting pitcher Zack Wheeler (elbow) felt "a little tenderness" following his last bullpen session, pitching coach Dan Warthen said Wednesday.
Wheeler is expected to throw again soon and the hope is that he's only dealing with scar tissue. Warthen did caution that the Mets will treat Wheeler "with kid gloves" after he missed back-to-back seasons. If he's healthy and able in 2017, the 26-year-old right-hander will likely be on an innings limit in the low 100s. A role in the bullpen may also be an option. If Wheeler doesn't take up the fifth spot in the rotation, then Robert Gsellman and Seth Lugo could earn the gig.
Prior to missing the entire 2015 season, Wheeler showed lots of promise when he last pitched in 2014, posting a 3.49 xFIP and a 23.5 strikeout percentage (league average was 20.4) across 185 1/3 innings.
- Miami's Jacob Stallings behind the plate on Wednesday October 4th, 2023
- Christian Bethancourt sitting in Game 2 for Rays October 4th, 2023
- Josh Lowe cleaning up Wednesday afternoon for Rays October 4th, 2023
- Jose Siri on Rays bench Wednesday in Game 2 October 4th, 2023
- Mitch Garver absent for Rangers again in Game 2 October 4th, 2023
- Miami's Jazz Chisholm Jr. in center field on Tuesday October 3rd, 2023
- Trea Turner (elbow) hitting second for Phillies on Tuesday October 3rd, 2023
- Phillies bench Edmundo Sosa on Tuesday night October 3rd, 2023
- J.T. Realmuto batting fifth in Phillies' Tuesday Game 1 lineup October 3rd, 2023
- Cristian Pache in left field for Phillies on Tuesday night October 3rd, 2023
- Philadelphia's Brandon Marsh sitting on Tuesday October 3rd, 2023
- Bryce Harper hitting in cleanup spot for Phillies on Tuesday October 3rd, 2023