Cubs add 41-year-old Koji Uehara to bullpen
The Chicago Cubs signed reliever Koji Uehara to a one-year, $6 million contract, Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago has confirmed.
This substantiates reports from Winter Meetings last week that the two sides were coming to terms. Uehara was roughed up a bit in the first half of last season (4.81 ERA, 33 2/3 innings), but he was superb in the second, not allowing a single run across 13 1/3 frames. The right-hander will be 42-years-old by the time Opening Day rolls around, but it looks like another solid pick-up for the defending World Series champions.
Uehara's season-long 3.45 ERA last year was his worst clip since his 2009 rookie campaign, but his 3.42 xFIP and 2.58 SIERA both represented slight improvements from the previous year. He finished with a 0.96 WHIP and 34.2 strikeout percentage across 47 total innings.
- Evan Gattis starting at catcher for Houston in Game 3 October 16th, 2017
- Brian McCann is out of the lineup for Astros in Game 3 October 16th, 2017
- Cameron Maybin is batting ninth in Game 3 for Houston October 16th, 2017
- Carlos Beltran is on the Astros' bench for Game 3 October 16th, 2017
- Josh Reddick dropped to eighth in Astros Game 3 lineup October 16th, 2017
- Alex Bregman will bat second as Astros visit New York for Game 3 October 16th, 2017
- Jason Heyward is in the Cubs' lineup for NLCS Game 2 October 15th, 2017
- Kyle Schwarber is on the Cubs' bench for Game 2 of the NLCS October 15th, 2017
- Cubs' Kyle Schwarber is batting seventh in Game 1 October 14th, 2017
- Cubs' Jason Heyward is out of the lineup for Game 1 October 14th, 2017
- Cubs' Justin Wilson no longer on NLCS roster October 14th, 2017
- Hector Rondon replacing Justin Wilson on Cubs' NLCS roster October 14th, 2017