Reds' Joey Votto tests positive for COVID-19; out indefinitely
Cincinnati Reds infielder Joey Votto has tested positive for COVID-19, he announced through the team Wednesday.
This comes after he was placed on the injured list with no prior explanation. With Votto testing positive, he'll enter the MLB's COVID-19 protocol, and there's no clear date for a return to the organization. And even when he does return, it's unclear how long he'll need to be ready for the season. Scott Heineman and Kyle Farmer should be in line for more plate appearances in Spring Training and potentially into the start of the season.
Our models currently project Votto for a .263 batting average with a .799 OPS, 17 home runs, 65 RBI and 76 runs across 573 plate appearances this season.
- Shohei Ohtani hitting second for Angels on Thursday May 6th, 2021
- Jose Rojas not in Angels' Thursday lineup May 6th, 2021
- Mike Zunino handling catching duties for Rays on Thursday May 6th, 2021
- Francisco Mejia out of Rays' Thursday lineup against Angels May 6th, 2021
- Brandon Lowe heads to Rays' bench on Thursday May 6th, 2021
- Tampa Bay's Kevin Kiermaier resting on Thursday night May 6th, 2021
- Tucker Barnhart on Reds' bench Wednesday afternoon May 5th, 2021
- Nick Castellanos (back) scratched for Reds Wednesday afternoon May 5th, 2021
- Reds' Nick Senzel (shoulder) scratched on Tuesday, Tyler Naquin to start May 4th, 2021
- Reds' Jonathan India on second base Tuesday May 4th, 2021
- Tucker Barnhart starting for Cincinnati on Sunday May 2nd, 2021
- Jesse Winker (back) starting for Reds on Sunday May 2nd, 2021