Flyers will buyout R.J. Umberger's contract
The Philadelphia Flyers will buy out winger R.J. Umberger.
This move was expected to happen, but now it's confirmed. Umberger, 34, tallied just 11 points (two goals, nine assists) in 39 contests this season, so it'll be interesting to see if he can garner any interest from other NHL clubs. He had one season remaining on his contract, which came with a $4.6 million cap hit. Instead, Philadelphia will be charged a $1.6 million cap hit for next season and a $1.5 million cap hit in 2017-'18.
In addition to the lack of production, Umberger was also terrible at driving possession. His Corsi For Percentage was 45.8, and his Relative Corsi For Percentage at Even Strength was -6.8.
- NHL suspends 2019-2020 season March 12th, 2020
- Blues take home first Stanley Cup in franchise history June 13th, 2019
- Nikita Kucherov signs 8-year extension with Lightning July 10th, 2018
- Kings, Drew Doughty agree to eight-year extension June 30th, 2018
- John Carlson, Capitals agree to 8-year extension June 25th, 2018
- Sharks sign Evander Kane to massive seven-year deal May 24th, 2018
- Flyers' Wayne Simmonds (upper body) to miss 2-3 weeks February 20th, 2018
- Brian Elliot will man the crease for Flyers on Tuesday October 10th, 2017
- Michal Neuvirth starting in net for Flyers on Thursday October 5th, 2017
- Brian Elliott opening the season in goal for Philadelphia October 4th, 2017
- Flyers give Steve Mason the start against Devils April 4th, 2017
- Anthony Stolarz getting another start for the Flyers on Sunday April 2nd, 2017