Scott Gomez accepts tryout with Capitals' minor league affiliate
Free agent Scott Gomez has agreed to a professional tryout agreement with the Hershey Bears of the AHL, the Washington Capitals top affiliate.
Gomez played 21 games with the St. Louis Blues this season, but his contract was terminated, allowing to him to sign with another club. Capitals coach Barry Trotz explained his feelings on the signing saying, "I think it’s good. We’re a little thin there because of the center-ice injuries and call-ups and all of those things, so Scott has been a really good pro in the league for a long time. He’s got a real high skill set. Especially at the American level, he should be able to help a [Jakub] Vrana, who should be back fairly soon here, and some of our younger people. A guy like Chandler Stephenson can learn from a Scott Gomez."
Gomez had 8 points (1 goal, 7 assists) in his 21 games with the Blues and had an average time on ice of just 11:15, the lowest of his career. Gomez was not driving possession when on the ice, as his Corsi For Percentage was 49.2 and his Relative Corsi For Percentage at Even Strength was -4.0. It's unclear if he'll be called up at any point to play for the Caps.
- NHL suspends 2019-2020 season March 12th, 2020
- Blues take home first Stanley Cup in franchise history June 13th, 2019
- Nikita Kucherov signs 8-year extension with Lightning July 10th, 2018
- Kings, Drew Doughty agree to eight-year extension June 30th, 2018
- John Carlson, Capitals agree to 8-year extension June 25th, 2018
- Sharks sign Evander Kane to massive seven-year deal May 24th, 2018
- Penguins acquire Derick Brassard from Senators February 23rd, 2018
- Senators' Erik Karlsson to make season debut on Tuesday October 16th, 2017
- Craig Anderson will start in goal for Ottawa on Friday night October 13th, 2017
- Ottawa will start Craig Anderson in net against Vancouver October 10th, 2017
- Senators confirm Craig Anderson as Thursday's starting goalie October 5th, 2017
- Senators expect Erik Karlsson (LBI) to play in Game 5 May 5th, 2017