Darrelle Revis' poor play due to weight gain
Free agent defensive back Darrelle Revis remains unsigned because he "has not really taken care of his body" and "looked slow" on game tape last season, according to The Ringer's Mike Lombardi.
"I think Revis is begging for a job," Lombardi stated, "He played slow. He looked slow ... Players that gain weight during their career fall off the Earth." Lombardi added that "no one is going to take the $6 million burden off the Jets," referring to Revis' $6 million in offset guarantees. There had been murmurs about a return to the New England Patriots for what will be Revis' age-32 campaign, but Lombardi considers the chances of that happening "slim and slimmer." Retirement continues to sound like the most likely outcome.
In no small part to Revis, the Jets' secondary ranked third-worst last season in schedule-adjusted Defensive Passing Net Expected Points allowed per play.
- Ravens' Kenneth Dixon (meniscus) out for the season July 25th, 2017
- Marshawn Lynch may be kept under 200 carries in Oakland July 25th, 2017
- Andrew Hawkins retiring from the NFL July 25th, 2017
- Carlos Hyde might not be on 49ers' roster past training camp July 25th, 2017
- Ravens' Kenneth Dixon to undergo meniscus surgery July 25th, 2017
- Rob Kelley projected to open year as Washington's starter July 23rd, 2017
- Robby Anderson not a lock to keep Jets' starting job July 15th, 2017
- Josh McCown may lose starting job before Jets' Week 1 July 9th, 2017
- Jets happy with Christian Hackenberg's progress June 29th, 2017
- Jets' Matt Forte expected to be workhorse in 2017-18 June 23rd, 2017
- Eric Decker's deal with Titans worth up to $5.35 million June 21st, 2017
- Patriots sign David Harris to two-year deal June 21st, 2017