Darrelle Revis' poor play due to weight gain
Free agent defensive back Darrelle Revis remains unsigned because he "has not really taken care of his body" and "looked slow" on game tape last season, according to The Ringer's Mike Lombardi.
"I think Revis is begging for a job," Lombardi stated, "He played slow. He looked slow ... Players that gain weight during their career fall off the Earth." Lombardi added that "no one is going to take the $6 million burden off the Jets," referring to Revis' $6 million in offset guarantees. There had been murmurs about a return to the New England Patriots for what will be Revis' age-32 campaign, but Lombardi considers the chances of that happening "slim and slimmer." Retirement continues to sound like the most likely outcome.
In no small part to Revis, the Jets' secondary ranked third-worst last season in schedule-adjusted Defensive Passing Net Expected Points allowed per play.
- Carson Wentz showing improved mechanics in Eagles' OTAs May 27th, 2017
- Rob Gronkowski was a full participant at Patriots' OTAs May 27th, 2017
- Giants lining Evan Engram up everywhere in OTA's May 27th, 2017
- Leonard Fournette impressing Jaguars with receiving ability May 27th, 2017
- Cowboys expect Ryan Switzer to have meaningful role May 27th, 2017
- Teddy Bridgewater (knee) rapidly improving in Vikings' rehab May 27th, 2017
- Jets planning to go with a committee approach in the backfield in 2017 May 23rd, 2017
- Jets giving quarterbacks equal first-team reps at OTAs May 23rd, 2017
- Jets' Eric Decker (hip, shoulder) participating in OTAs May 23rd, 2017
- Jets' Christian Hackenberg was wild even in practice last year May 21st, 2017
- Bryce Petty (shoulder) on track for Jets' OTAs May 15th, 2017
- Quincy Enunwa could be Jets' top receiving target in 2017 May 11th, 2017