Darrelle Revis' poor play due to weight gain
Free agent defensive back Darrelle Revis remains unsigned because he "has not really taken care of his body" and "looked slow" on game tape last season, according to The Ringer's Mike Lombardi.
"I think Revis is begging for a job," Lombardi stated, "He played slow. He looked slow ... Players that gain weight during their career fall off the Earth." Lombardi added that "no one is going to take the $6 million burden off the Jets," referring to Revis' $6 million in offset guarantees. There had been murmurs about a return to the New England Patriots for what will be Revis' age-32 campaign, but Lombardi considers the chances of that happening "slim and slimmer." Retirement continues to sound like the most likely outcome.
In no small part to Revis, the Jets' secondary ranked third-worst last season in schedule-adjusted Defensive Passing Net Expected Points allowed per play.
- Chargers' Jason Verrett (knee) out for season September 23rd, 2017
- Titans' Taywan Taylor to see an increased role in Week 3 September 23rd, 2017
- Dolphins' Jay Ajayi (knee) is 'feeling good' September 23rd, 2017
- Ezekiel Elliott will play at least Cowboys' next two games September 23rd, 2017
- Marlon Mack (shoulder) ruled out for Week 3 by Colts September 22nd, 2017
- Falcons' Matt Bryant projected for a top-five finish in Week 3 September 22nd, 2017
- Jets' Austin Seferian-Jenkins not a lock to be active in Week 3 September 22nd, 2017
- Jets' Matt Forte stuck in a three-man running back committee September 21st, 2017
- Bilal Powell now part of a three-man rotation in New York September 21st, 2017
- Jets' Jermaine Kearse expected to lead team in targets this Sunday September 21st, 2017
- Robby Anderson (knee) not at Jets' practice on Thursday September 21st, 2017
- Austin Seferian Jenkins not guaranteed to be active for Jets in Week 3 September 20th, 2017