Giants: Saquon Barkley (ankle) trending towards game-time call
New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley (ankle) is expected to be a game-time decision on Thursday night against the San Francisco 49ers in Week 3, per head coach Brian Daboll.
Daboll said Tuesday that Barkley "feels a lot better today" and has made "considerable progress" with the ankle injury he sustained in Week 2 versus the Arizona Cardinals. Barkley was reportedly expected to miss three weeks on Tuesday, so it would be a big surprise if he's able to suit up on Thursday in San Francisco. Matt Breida is expected to lead a backfield committee that includes Gary Brightwell and Eric Gray if Barkley is ruled out.
The 49ers’ pass defense and overall defense both rank in the top-five based on numberFire’s opponent-adjusted NEP model, but their run defense is third-worst, so the Giants may be able to find some surprise success on the ground if they can maintain a neutral game script. That will likely be difficult on the road as 10.0-point underdogs. Our models project Breida for 11.1, Brightwell for 7.5, and Gray for 3.2 touches on Thursday night.
- Rico Dowdle (ankle) limited Monday for Cowboys November 27th, 2023
- Ravens 'getting more comfortable' with Keaton Mitchell at running back November 27th, 2023
- Browns' Dorian Thompson-Robinson in concussion protocol following Week 12 November 27th, 2023
- X-rays negative for Browns' Amari Cooper (ribs) after Week 12 November 27th, 2023
- Vikings rule out Justin Jefferson (hamstring) for Week 12 November 27th, 2023
- Rashid Shaheed (quad) unlikely to play in Week 13 November 27th, 2023
- Giants' Darius Slayton (neck) doubtful for Week 12 November 24th, 2023
- Darius Slayton (arm) won't return in Week 11 for New York November 19th, 2023
- Giants' Jalin Hyatt (concussion) available for Week 11 November 17th, 2023
- Tommy DeVito making another start Week 11 for Giants November 15th, 2023
- Giants' Jalin Hyatt (concussion) DNP on Wednesday November 15th, 2023
- Jalin Hyatt (concussion) won't return in Week 10 for Giants November 12th, 2023