Vikings inform Dalvin Cook of upcoming release
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Minnesota Vikings have informed running back Dalvin Cook that he is being released.
The Vikings have been making noise about moving on from Cook for much of the offseason, and are now making the move official. Cook signed a 5-year, $63 million deal with the team before the 2020 season and will now enter free agency just 2 years later. We have already begun seeing reports of interest in Cook from teams like the Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, and Denver Broncos, so it seems like Cook should find a new landing spot relatively quickly. The Vikings are now expected to enter the season with Alexander Mattison as their primary back.
Cook finished each of the past 4 seasons with at least 1,300 yards from scrimmage, but the 4-time Pro Bowler's efficiency has decreased in each of the past 2 seasons. According to Next Gen Stats, Cook ranked 7th-worst in the league in Rushing Yards Over Expectation last year, finishing with an estimated 41-fewer yards than an average back with his carries would be expected to produce. The 4 other backs who ranked worse than Cook in that metric last year (excluding those on rookie contracts) were each also cut from their teams this offseason, but teams do still seem interested in Cook's ability to create big explosive plays.
- Chargers' Donald Parham diagnosed with wrist sprain October 3rd, 2023
- Jahan Dotson (ankle) listed as limited in Commanders' Tuesday injury report October 3rd, 2023
- Luke Musgrave (concussion) active at Packers practice October 3rd, 2023
- Washington's Curtis Samuel (quad) limited on Tuesday October 3rd, 2023
- Steelers' Kenny Pickett (knee) scheduled to practice Wednesday October 3rd, 2023
- Pat Freiermuth (hamstring) 'very doubtful' for Steelers October 3rd, 2023
- Breece Hall (knee) available for Jets in Week 4 September 29th, 2023
- Jets' Breece Hall (knee) upgraded to full practice Thursday September 28th, 2023
- Jets' Breece Hall (knee) managing practice reps September 28th, 2023
- Jets sign quarterback Trevor Siemian to practice squad on Tuesday September 26th, 2023
- Jets see quarterback Zach Wilson 'taking the right steps' September 21st, 2023
- Jets' Garrett Wilson 'just had the wind knocked out of him' in Week 2 September 18th, 2023