Baker Mayfield officially named Panthers' Week 1 starter
Carolina Panthers quarterback Baker Mayfield will start Week 1 versus the Cleveland Browns, the team announced.
The Panthers officially announced on Monday that Mayfield beat out Sam Darnold for the starting job, confirming what had been widely expected since acquiring the quarterback from the Browns more than a month ago. Mayfield should serve as an upgrade for D.J. Moore, Robbie Anderson, and the rest of the Panthers' pass-catchers.
Baker is currently the QB27 in numberFire's preseason projections and our models project him for 3,917.6 passing yards, 23.29 touchdowns, and 15.6 interceptions this season, with 192.4 rushing yards and 1.52 touchdowns. Among the 44 quarterbacks with at least 100 drop backs last season, Baker ranked 33rd in Passing Net Expected Points per drop back (0.00) while Darnold ranked 38th (negative-0.10).
- Steelers' Najee Harris (abdominal) will not return Monday night November 28th, 2022
- Update: Patriots' Damien Harris (thigh) now week-to-week, unlikely to play in Week 13 November 28th, 2022
- 49ers' Elijah Mitchell (knee) to miss 6-8 weeks November 28th, 2022
- Rams' Aaron Donald dealing with high ankle sprain November 28th, 2022
- Pelissero: Melvin Gordon expected to sign with Chiefs November 28th, 2022
- Jakobi Meyers (shoulder) limited on Patriots' estimated Monday injury report November 28th, 2022
- Terrace Marshall (shoulder) will play for Panthers in Week 12 November 27th, 2022
- Carolina's Terrace Marshall (shoulder) questionable in Week 12 November 25th, 2022
- Panthers' Terrace Marshall Jr. (shoulder) limited on Wednesday November 23rd, 2022
- Baker Mayfield benched by Panthers again November 22nd, 2022
- Sam Darnold to start for Panthers Week 12 versus Broncos November 22nd, 2022
- Sam Darnold to be Panthers' backup QB Week 11 November 14th, 2022