Ezekiel Elliott to Cowboys 'gaining steam'
The Dallas Cowboys' draft room "lobby" for Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott is "gaining steam," The Dallas Morning News reports.
Owner/GM Jerry Jones has controlled his draft weekend impulses in recent years, but Elliott may be too big of a name for Jones to pass up. It doesn't hurt, of course, that the Cowboys actually need a bell-cow running back. Dallas would probably still be best served by addressing its defense, but Elliott would be a quintessentially Jerry pick.
The Cowboys ranked 22nd in schedule-adjusted Defensive Passing Net Expected Points (NEP) per play last season, and it's a bit of a head-scratcher that they would prefer Elliot's potential impact on the defense to that of Jalen Ramsey, the draft's top-ranked defensive back.
- James Robinson expected to lead Jaguars' backfield in snaps June 18th, 2021
- Denzel Mims working behind Keelan Cole at Jets camp June 14th, 2021
- Pats' Mac Jones playing behind Jarrett Stidham in "every period" June 14th, 2021
- Jamison Crowder, Jets rework contract June 14th, 2021
- Jakobi Meyers looking like Patriots' WR1 for camp June 14th, 2021
- 49ers' Trey Sermon exceeding expectations at OTAs June 14th, 2021
- McCarthy: Cowboys' Michael Gallup has been 'moved around some and in the slot' this offseason June 10th, 2021
- Cowboys and quarterback Dak Prescott agree to new contract March 8th, 2021
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson open to Cowboys, Saints, Raiders, Bears February 25th, 2021
- Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott (calf) looks fresh in Week 16 return against Eagles December 28th, 2020
- CeeDee Lamb scores via air, ground for Dallas December 28th, 2020
- Michael Gallup gains 121 yards, scores twice in Cowboys victory December 28th, 2020