Elijah Mitchell viewed as 49ers' top back
San Francisco 49ers running back Elijah Mitchell is viewed as the team's top rusher, per Nick Wagoner of ESPN.
Mitchell was barely on the fantasy radar as a sixth-round pick in a crowded backfield at the beginning of last season, but he wound up leading the backfield with 226 touches and 1,100 yards from scrimmage in 11 games. Despite viewing Mitchell as the team's top back, Wagoner adds that the 49ers believe third-round rookie Tyrion Davis-Price could emerge as a "bigger, more powerful complement" to the second-year back. That creates some concern for Mitchell's fantasy outlook due to possibly losing out on scoring opportunities close to the goal line. Mitchell led the 49ers' running backs with four carries inside the five-yard live last season.
Among the 77 running backs with at least 50 carries last season, Mitchell ranked 46th in Rushing Net Expected Points per carry (negative-0.01). He averaged 14.1 FanDuel points in 11 games last season, which ranked 12th among qualified NFL backs.
- Allen Lazard "getting an opportunity" to be Packers WR1 July 3rd, 2022
- Browns' Kareem Hunt feels '100 percent' healthy June 29th, 2022
- Terry McLaurin signs three-year $71 million contract extension with Washington June 29th, 2022
- Giants' Kadarius Toney (knee) a surprise PUP-list candidate June 27th, 2022
- Chargers' Austin Ekeler excited for increased backfield competition June 27th, 2022
- Falcons were blown away by Drake London's physicality on college tape June 27th, 2022
- Deebo Samuel still desires trade from 49ers June 27th, 2022
- Elijah Mitchell viewed as 49ers' top back May 23rd, 2022
- Maaddi: San Francisco's Jimmy Garoppolo (shoulder) 'believes he'll be ready for training camp' April 21st, 2022
- Hughes: 49ers reportedly have 'zero intention of trading' Deebo Samuel despite recent request April 20th, 2022
- Schefter: Deebo Samuel won't participate in 49ers' offseason programs April 19th, 2022
- 49ers' Deebo Samuel not expected to participate in offseason work pending new contract April 18th, 2022