Browns expect Baker Mayfield back as starter in 2022
Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield (shoulder surgery) is expected to remain the Browns starter next season, according to general manager Andrew Berry.
"We fully expect Baker to be our starter and bounce back," Berry claimed. Mayfield took a step back as a thrower in 2021 while battling injuries all season, but the Browns plan to bring him back after exercising his fifth-year option. Mayfield threw 17 touchdowns and 13 interceptions this year while averaging a career-low 215.0 passing yards per game.
Among the 44 quarterbacks with at least 100 drop backs this season, Baker ranked 33rd in Passing Net Expected Points per drop back. His completion percentage fell 2.3 points from 2020 and Mayfield's adjusted yards per attempt (6.6) dropped more than a yard, while his interception rate rose from 1.6% to 3.1%.
- Jarvis Landry signs with New Orleans May 13th, 2022
- Falcons acquire Bryan Edwards in trade with Las Vegas May 13th, 2022
- D.J. Chark (ankle) full participant at Lions workouts May 13th, 2022
- Broncos' Jerry Jeudy to be released on bond May 13th, 2022
- Broncos' K.J. Hamler wants "Tyler Lockett role" for Russell Wilson May 11th, 2022
- Dolphins sign running back Sony Michel May 9th, 2022
- Browns' Deshaun Watson reportedly meeting with league this week May 16th, 2022
- Rapoport: Baker Mayfield likely sticking with Browns through draft April 25th, 2022
- Baker Mayfield doesn't appear at Browns' voluntary workouts April 19th, 2022
- Texans' Deshaun Watson expected to be traded to Cleveland March 18th, 2022
- Browns' Baker Mayfield requests trade March 17th, 2022
- Browns release wide receiver Jarvis Landry March 14th, 2022