Patriots adding Hunter Henry to offseason haul
The New England Patriots are signing tight end Hunter Henry, formerly of the Los Angeles Chargers, to a three-year, $37.5 million contract.
The deal includes $25 million guaranteed. Henry and Jonnu Smith were free agency's top two tight ends, and the Patriots signed them both in less than 24 hours. Henry drew a career-high 6.6 targets per game last season for the Chargers but he's unlikely to see as much volume with Cam Newton under center in New England, especially with Smith also in the mix. That being said, the Patriots should run plenty of 12 personnel featuring both tight ends. On the other side of the coast, Donald Parham now becomes the favorite to take over as the Chargers' starting tight end. He totaled 5 catches on 7 targets for 84 yards and a touchdown over the final two weeks last season.
Henry averaged 8.2 FanDuel points per game last season, finishing 11th among tight ends. Among the 29 tight ends with at least 50 targets, including the postseason, Henry ranked 16th in Reception Net Expected Points per target. Henry's 72.7 overall grade from Pro Football Focus since 2019 ranks 11th among 37 players at the position with at least 1,000 offensive snaps.
- Browns' Kareem Hunt feels '100 percent' healthy June 29th, 2022
- Terry McLaurin signs three-year $71 million contract extension with Washington June 29th, 2022
- Giants' Kadarius Toney (knee) a surprise PUP-list candidate June 27th, 2022
- Chargers' Austin Ekeler excited for increased backfield competition June 27th, 2022
- Falcons were blown away by Drake London's physicality on college tape June 27th, 2022
- Cardinals' Eno Benjamin "the frontrunner" to back up James Conner June 27th, 2022
- Pats' Rhamondre Stevenson "impressed everyone" in spring practices June 20th, 2022
- Pats' James White (hip) participating but limited in spring practices June 12th, 2022
- Patriots' James White (hip) remains sidelined heading into training camp May 2nd, 2022
- Patriots acquire wide receiver DeVante Parker in trade with Dolphins April 2nd, 2022
- Pats' Jonnu Smith expected to participate in voluntary offseason program March 28th, 2022
- Patriots adding Hunter Henry to offseason haul March 16th, 2021