Dolphins, Matt Breida yet to engage in contract extension talks
Miami Dolphins running back Matt Breida has not had talks of an extension with the team, according to The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson.
The Dolphins acquired Breida from the San Francisco 49ers earlier in the offseason for a 2020 5th round pick. He is entering the final year of his deal and is owed $3.3 million this season, but Miami has not discussed an extension. Jackson cited uncertainty around the 2021 salary cap as the primary reason, while noting that the Dolphins have held off on extension talks with all of their top 2021 free agents. The 25-year-old former undrafted free agent has battled injuries over the past two seasons but has been effective when healthy, averaging 5.0 yards per carry for his career. In 2018 he was Pro Football Focus' 25th graded running back but finished 30th in those same rankings in 2019. He is expected to split carries in the Dolphins backfield with former Eagles running back, Jordan Howard.
Our models project Breida for 571.4 rushing yards, 258.2 receiving yards, 33.4 catches (45.8 targets), and 4.6 touchdowns. He's the RB39 in our preseason fantasy rankings.
- Eagles eager to let Miles Sanders loose August 3rd, 2020
- Jets release offensive guard Brian Winters on Sunday August 2nd, 2020
- Lions' Geronimo Allison opts out of 2020 season August 2nd, 2020
- Browns' Jarvis Landry (hip) lands on active/PUP list August 2nd, 2020
- Browns' David Njoku commits to staying in Cleveland August 1st, 2020
- Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford placed on COVID-19 list August 1st, 2020
- Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa 'ready to go' July 27th, 2020
- Dolphins acquire tight end Adam Shaheen from Bears July 26th, 2020
- Dolphins, Matt Breida yet to engage in contract extension talks July 10th, 2020
- Matt Breida to likely split carries in Miami's backfield June 29th, 2020
- Jordan Howard expected to take Dolphins' goal-line work June 29th, 2020
- Dolphins' Xavien Howard avoids suspension June 18th, 2020