Broncos Beat: Royce Freeman competing for spot in backfield
Denver Broncos running back Royce Freeman isn't guaranteed to be the team's third running back, writes Ryan O'Halloran of The Denver Post.
Freeman is assumed to be penciled in at third on the depth chart behind Melvin Gordon and Phillip Lindsay, but O'Halloran suggests that 2017 seventh-round pick Khalfani Muhammad and undrafted rookie LeVante Bellamy are also in the mix. Freeman's targets spiked from 20 as a rookie to 50 last year, but his rushing yards per game fell from 37.2 to 31.0, despite an equal workload. The 2018 third-rounder also hasn't logged any special teams snaps through 30 career games. If Muhammad or Bellamy turns in a strong preseason performance, Freeman could wind up on the outside looking in.
Freeman is the RB72 in numberFire's preseason fantasy rankings. Our models expect him to rush 44.8 times for 184.2 yards and catch 12.0 passes on 16.1 targets for 76.8 yards while totaling 1.7 touchdowns.
- Olson: Raiders will start Henry Ruggs in slot August 6th, 2020
- Kenny Golladay (COVID-19) good to go for Lions August 5th, 2020
- Ravens' Marquise Brown now up to 180 pounds August 5th, 2020
- Steelers' Diontae Johnson '100 percent' after hernia surgery August 5th, 2020
- Dolphins' Albert Wilson also opts out of season August 5th, 2020
- Patriots' Mohamed Sanu (ankle) activated off PUP August 4th, 2020
- Broncos' Melvin Gordon expects a competition with Phillip Lindsay July 26th, 2020
- Broncos' Justin Simmons signs franchise tag July 15th, 2020
- Broncos' Justin Simmons expected to sign franchise tender this weekend July 10th, 2020
- A.J. Johnson to remain a 'mainstay' on early downs for Broncos June 29th, 2020
- Broncos' Phillip Lindsay put on a few pounds June 23rd, 2020
- Broncos' Kareem Jackson tests positive for COVID-19 June 17th, 2020