Post Gazette: Pittsburgh unlikely to pursue Jameis Winston
The Pittsburgh Steelers are unlikely to pursue free agent quarterback Jameis Winston, according to Brian Batko of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The Steelers have emerged as a popular potential landing spot for Winston over the past couple weeks. However, Batko believes there are "a multitude of reasons for why this marriage won't happen," including turnovers (Winston led the league with 30 interceptions last season), potential salary demands, and off-field issues. There are also health concerns, as Winston reportedly played through a broken thumb and torn meniscus last season. With all that being said, Winston would serve as an immediate upgrade over Mason Rudolph as Ben Roethlisberger's backup, not to mention Devlin Hodges, Paxton Lynch, and J.T. Barrett. Per FanDuel Sportsbook, the Steelers are currently tied with the Denver Broncos as the fourth-most likely team to have Winston on their Week 1 roster.
Winston threw more interceptions than anyone last season, but he also led the NFL in passing yards (5,109) and air yards (6,538) while throwing the second-most touchdowns (33) and having the second-highest average depth of target (10.4). He averaged 21.0 FanDuel points per game (QB5).
- Anderson: Giants reportedly sign Kenny Golladay to 4-year, $40 million guaranteed contract March 20th, 2021
- Texans reportedly agree to 1-year contract with Phillip Lindsay March 20th, 2021
- Steelers reportedly resign JuJu Smith-Schuster to 1-year, $8 million deal March 19th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign Will Fuller to 1-year contract March 18th, 2021
- Cardinals reportedly sign wide receiver A.J. Green to 1-year deal March 17th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign running back Malcolm Brown March 16th, 2021
- Saints re-sign Jameis Winston to one-year contract March 15th, 2021
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson open to Cowboys, Saints, Raiders, Bears February 25th, 2021
- Taysom Hill (knee) ruled out for Sunday's clash with Buccaneers January 17th, 2021
- Saints' Latavius Murray (quad) inactive for Divisional Round clash with Tampa Bay January 17th, 2021
- Saints' Latavius Murray (quad) not expected to play Sunday January 17th, 2021
- Saints' Taysom Hill (knee) not expected to play Sunday January 17th, 2021