St. Joesph's Shevar Newkirk tears ACL, is out for season
Saint Joesph's Hawks junior guard Shevar Newkirk was diagnosed with a torn ACL and will miss the remainder of the season, according to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.
The junior left Friday's game with a knee injury, and an MRI on Saturday revealed the torn ligament. Devasting blow for the Hawks as Newkirk was leading the team with an average of 20.4 points per game. Lemarr Kimble and Chris Clover will be asked to step up in Newkirk's absence.
St. Joesph's is 7-5 and was given only a 6.4% chance of making the NCAA Tournament, by our algorithms, a number that will in all likelihood plummet after Newkirk's injury.
- Virginia named 1st seed in South Region March 18th, 2019
- North Carolina claims top seed in Midwest region March 18th, 2019
- Gonzaga earns No. 1 seed in the West March 18th, 2019
- Duke earns top seed in the NCAA tournament March 18th, 2019
- Kansas punches ticket to Final Four with 85-81 victory over Duke March 25th, 2018
- Villanova advances to Final Four for second time in three seasons with victory over Texas Tech March 25th, 2018
- St. Joesph's Shevar Newkirk tears ACL, is out for season January 1st, 2017