Oakland's Aldon Smith slapped with one-year ban
Oakland Raiders outside linebacker Aldon Smith has been suspended for one year by the NFL for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports it's for Smith's involvement in an "August 28 incident." Smith was released by the 49ers after an early-August DUI. The August 28 incident is unknown. What's not unknown is Smith's pattern of destructive off-the-field behavior. He has put himself and many others in danger with repeated alcohol-related incidents.
He won't gain automatic reinstatement upon the ban's end. Unless he's turned his life around, it's possible Smith never plays another NFL snap. If there's one positive, it that's the Raiders plan to "stick with" Smith through his suspension, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.
- Eagles sending Carson Wentz to Colts in exchange for pair of picks February 18th, 2021
- J.J. Watt granted release from Texans February 12th, 2021
- Chiefs' Sammy Watkins (calf) active for Super Bowl clash with Tampa Bay February 7th, 2021
- Cameron Brate (back) cleared to play in Super Bowl for Buccaneers February 7th, 2021
- Buccaneers' Antonio Brown (knee) active for Super Bowl Sunday February 7th, 2021
- Le'Veon Bell (knee) not listed on Kansas City's Super Bowl LV injury report February 5th, 2021
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson open to Cowboys, Saints, Raiders, Bears February 25th, 2021
- Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott (calf) looks fresh in Week 16 return against Eagles December 28th, 2020
- CeeDee Lamb scores via air, ground for Dallas December 28th, 2020
- Michael Gallup gains 121 yards, scores twice in Cowboys victory December 28th, 2020
- Cowboys' Andy Dalton explodes for 377 yards and 3 touchdowns in Week 16's divisional win over Eagles December 28th, 2020
- Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott (calf) active for Week 16 clash with Eagles December 27th, 2020