Carlos Hyde not guaranteed starting job in 49ers' backfield
San Francisco 49ers running back Carlos Hyde will have to compete for the starting job, believes longtime beat writer Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area.
Maiocco notes that Hyde's unfamiliarity with new head coach Kyle Shanahan's system -- as he enters the final year of his contract -- could be why San Francisco made Joe Williams a priority in the fourth round of this year's draft. That said, Maiocco believes Hyde remains the favorite to prevail as the starter out of camp, but that this will ultimately turn into a committee as the year progresses, with Tim Hightower even seeing some meaningful touches.
numberFire's models currently rank Hyde as the 13th-best fantasy option at his position for 2017. We project him to rush 249.1 times for 1,003.6 yards and 7.34 touchdowns this season, with another 142.6 receiving yards and 0.77 touchdowns on 24.9 catches.
- Rob Gronkowski announces he will return to Patriots for 2018 season April 24th, 2018
- Tom Brady's agent says the Pats' quarterback will be back in 2018 April 23rd, 2018
- Willie Snead signs with Ravens after Saints decline to match offer sheet April 23rd, 2018
- Elway: Broncos open to trading fifth overall pick April 19th, 2018
- Report: Giants releasing Brandon Marshall April 19th, 2018
- Dolphins expected to exercise DeVante Parker's fifth-year option April 19th, 2018
- 49ers won't allow Reuben Foster to participate in team activities April 15th, 2018
- 49ers' Reuben Foster charged with felony domestic violence April 12th, 2018
- 49ers' Richard Sherman (Achilles) expects to return by May or June March 20th, 2018
- 49ers sign free agent Jerick McKinnon to $30 million deal March 14th, 2018
- Richard Sherman signs 3-year deal with 49ers March 11th, 2018
- 49ers, Marquise Goodwin agree to three-year extension March 8th, 2018