Carlos Hyde not guaranteed starting job in 49ers' backfield
San Francisco 49ers running back Carlos Hyde will have to compete for the starting job, believes longtime beat writer Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area.
Maiocco notes that Hyde's unfamiliarity with new head coach Kyle Shanahan's system -- as he enters the final year of his contract -- could be why San Francisco made Joe Williams a priority in the fourth round of this year's draft. That said, Maiocco believes Hyde remains the favorite to prevail as the starter out of camp, but that this will ultimately turn into a committee as the year progresses, with Tim Hightower even seeing some meaningful touches.
numberFire's models currently rank Hyde as the 13th-best fantasy option at his position for 2017. We project him to rush 249.1 times for 1,003.6 yards and 7.34 touchdowns this season, with another 142.6 receiving yards and 0.77 touchdowns on 24.9 catches.
- Jordan Howard (shoulder) limited in Bears' Wednesday practice September 20th, 2017
- Gerald Everett (thigh) questionable for Rams on Thursday September 20th, 2017
- DeMarco Murray (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday for Titans September 20th, 2017
- Randall Cobb (shoulder) did not practice with Packers on Wednesday September 20th, 2017
- Jordy Nelson (quad) returned to practice for Packers on Wednesday September 20th, 2017
- Rob Gronkowski (groin) did not practice Wednesday for Patriots September 20th, 2017
- Pierre Garcon expected to pace 49ers in targets Week 3 September 19th, 2017
- George Kittle (hip) listed as non-participant on 49ers' injury report September 19th, 2017
- 49ers' Carlos Hyde looking to finish with scores in Week 3 September 19th, 2017
- Brian Hoyer takes responsibility for 49ers' poor start September 19th, 2017
- Seahawks' Richard Sherman (hamstring) expected to play Week 2 against 49ers September 17th, 2017
- 49ers' Pierre Garcon faces uphill battle against Seahawks in Week 2 September 15th, 2017