Carlos Hyde not guaranteed starting job in 49ers' backfield
San Francisco 49ers running back Carlos Hyde will have to compete for the starting job, believes longtime beat writer Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area.
Maiocco notes that Hyde's unfamiliarity with new head coach Kyle Shanahan's system -- as he enters the final year of his contract -- could be why San Francisco made Joe Williams a priority in the fourth round of this year's draft. That said, Maiocco believes Hyde remains the favorite to prevail as the starter out of camp, but that this will ultimately turn into a committee as the year progresses, with Tim Hightower even seeing some meaningful touches.
numberFire's models currently rank Hyde as the 13th-best fantasy option at his position for 2017. We project him to rush 249.1 times for 1,003.6 yards and 7.34 touchdowns this season, with another 142.6 receiving yards and 0.77 touchdowns on 24.9 catches.
- Bills' Sammy Watkins (foot) "close to 100 percent" July 22nd, 2017
- Anquan Boldin to meet with Bills Monday July 21st, 2017
- Chargers' Mike Williams (back) may require season-ending surgery July 20th, 2017
- Cardinals and Chris Johnson agree to one-year deal July 20th, 2017
- Steelers' Le'Veon Bell offered more than $12 million a year July 18th, 2017
- Panthers under Dave Gettleman were not interested in extending Greg Olsen July 17th, 2017
- Carlos Hyde not guaranteed starting job in 49ers' backfield July 12th, 2017
- George Kittle dazzled in 49ers' OTAs July 10th, 2017
- 49ers sign Elvis Dumervil to two-year deal June 6th, 2017
- Carlos Hyde struggling in 49ers' new system June 1st, 2017
- Vance McDonald not a lock to make 49ers' final roster May 22nd, 2017
- Joe Williams could supplant Carlos Hyde in 49ers' backfield May 17th, 2017