Carlos Hyde not guaranteed starting job in 49ers' backfield
San Francisco 49ers running back Carlos Hyde will have to compete for the starting job, believes longtime beat writer Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area.
Maiocco notes that Hyde's unfamiliarity with new head coach Kyle Shanahan's system -- as he enters the final year of his contract -- could be why San Francisco made Joe Williams a priority in the fourth round of this year's draft. That said, Maiocco believes Hyde remains the favorite to prevail as the starter out of camp, but that this will ultimately turn into a committee as the year progresses, with Tim Hightower even seeing some meaningful touches.
numberFire's models currently rank Hyde as the 13th-best fantasy option at his position for 2017. We project him to rush 249.1 times for 1,003.6 yards and 7.34 touchdowns this season, with another 142.6 receiving yards and 0.77 touchdowns on 24.9 catches.
- Steelers making no 'attempts to move' Martavis Bryant February 23rd, 2018
- David Harris retires after 11 NFL seasons February 23rd, 2018
- Rams likely to move on from Trumaine Johnson February 23rd, 2018
- Chiefs reportedly finalizing deal to send Marcus Peters to Rams February 23rd, 2018
- Panthers could use franchise tag on Graham Gano February 22nd, 2018
- Seahawks unlikely to tag Sheldon Richardson February 22nd, 2018
- Report: 'Stunner' if Dolphins don't trade Jarvis Landry February 23rd, 2018
- 49ers' Reuben Foster arrested again for domestic violence, possessing assault rifle February 12th, 2018
- 49ers sign Jimmy Garoppolo to a five-year, $137.5 million contract February 8th, 2018
- Jimmy Garoppolo and 49ers' contract talks have made progress February 4th, 2018
- Jimmy Garoppolo extension remains high priority for 49ers January 24th, 2018
- 49ers' Reuben Foster arrested on marijuana possession January 13th, 2018