Panthers want Cam Newton to run less and throw quicker
The Carolina Panthers want quarterback Cam Newton to run less and get rid of the ball more quickly, head coach Ron Rivera said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.
Their offseason tells the same story after Carolina drafted running back Christian McCaffrey and wide receiver Curtis Samuel, two players who should do most of their receiving damage around the line of scrimmage. That said, Newton has not been effective targeting players near the line, and it could be difficult for him to abandon his running ability - his strongest skill - in the heat of the moment. Along with his health, Newton's ability to adapt will be an important storyline to monitor in camp.
numberFire's models project Newton for 3,693 passing yards, 24.48 touchdowns, and 13.46 interceptions on 526 attempts this year, adding 528 rushing yards and 5.13 touchdowns on 92 carries. He's our seventh-best quarterback for fantasy purposes.
- Dallas Goedert could feature in red-zone immediately for Eagles June 17th, 2018
- Jets not giving up on ArDarius Stewart June 17th, 2018
- Raiders' Martavis Bryant could be facing another suspension June 15th, 2018
- Patrick Peterson embracing new role in Cardinals' secondary June 15th, 2018
- Elijah McGuire pegged as Jets' third-down running back June 15th, 2018
- Colts' fourth-rounder Nyheim Hines doing everything on offense June 15th, 2018
- Panthers' first-round wideout D.J. Moore 'more than ready to contribute' June 15th, 2018
- Panthers' Luke Kuechly (shoulder) says he is on schedule June 12th, 2018
- Curtis Samuel (ankle) participating in Panthers' OTAs May 22nd, 2018
- Panthers place Fozzy Whittaker (knee) on injured reserve May 10th, 2018
- C.J. Anderson signs 1-year deal with Panthers May 7th, 2018
- Carolina Panthers select WR D.J. Moore with the 24th pick in the NFL Draft April 26th, 2018