Panthers want Cam Newton to run less and throw quicker
The Carolina Panthers want quarterback Cam Newton to run less and get rid of the ball more quickly, head coach Ron Rivera said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.
Their offseason tells the same story after Carolina drafted running back Christian McCaffrey and wide receiver Curtis Samuel, two players who should do most of their receiving damage around the line of scrimmage. That said, Newton has not been effective targeting players near the line, and it could be difficult for him to abandon his running ability - his strongest skill - in the heat of the moment. Along with his health, Newton's ability to adapt will be an important storyline to monitor in camp.
numberFire's models project Newton for 3,693 passing yards, 24.48 touchdowns, and 13.46 interceptions on 526 attempts this year, adding 528 rushing yards and 5.13 touchdowns on 92 carries. He's our seventh-best quarterback for fantasy purposes.
- Rob Gronkowski announces he will return to Patriots for 2018 season April 24th, 2018
- Tom Brady's agent says the Pats' quarterback will be back in 2018 April 23rd, 2018
- Willie Snead signs with Ravens after Saints decline to match offer sheet April 23rd, 2018
- Elway: Broncos open to trading fifth overall pick April 19th, 2018
- Report: Giants releasing Brandon Marshall April 19th, 2018
- Dolphins expected to exercise DeVante Parker's fifth-year option April 19th, 2018
- Panthers' Thomas Davis suspended four games for performance-enhancing drugs April 7th, 2018
- Panthers' Curtis Samuel (ankle) doesn't have 'timetable' for return March 27th, 2018
- Luke Kuechly will not participate in Panthers' offseason program March 27th, 2018
- Panthers reportedly adding Da'Norris Searcy to secondary with 2-year deal March 23rd, 2018
- Jarius Wright, Panthers reportedly come to terms March 19th, 2018
- Greg Olsen still 'committed' to playing for Panthers in 2018 March 16th, 2018