Panthers want Cam Newton to run less and throw quicker
The Carolina Panthers want quarterback Cam Newton to run less and get rid of the ball more quickly, head coach Ron Rivera said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.
Their offseason tells the same story after Carolina drafted running back Christian McCaffrey and wide receiver Curtis Samuel, two players who should do most of their receiving damage around the line of scrimmage. That said, Newton has not been effective targeting players near the line, and it could be difficult for him to abandon his running ability - his strongest skill - in the heat of the moment. Along with his health, Newton's ability to adapt will be an important storyline to monitor in camp.
numberFire's models project Newton for 3,693 passing yards, 24.48 touchdowns, and 13.46 interceptions on 526 attempts this year, adding 528 rushing yards and 5.13 touchdowns on 92 carries. He's our seventh-best quarterback for fantasy purposes.
- Steelers making no 'attempts to move' Martavis Bryant February 23rd, 2018
- David Harris retires after 11 NFL seasons February 23rd, 2018
- Report: 'Stunner' if Dolphins don't trade Jarvis Landry February 23rd, 2018
- Rams likely to move on from Trumaine Johnson February 23rd, 2018
- Chiefs reportedly finalizing deal to send Marcus Peters to Rams February 23rd, 2018
- Seahawks unlikely to tag Sheldon Richardson February 22nd, 2018
- Panthers could use franchise tag on Graham Gano February 22nd, 2018
- Panthers could release Jonathan Stewart this offseason February 21st, 2018
- Panthers unlikely to tag free agent Andrew Norwell February 20th, 2018
- Free agent Julius Peppers 'leaning toward' returning for 17th season February 19th, 2018
- Panthers' Luke Kuechly underwent shoulder surgery after season February 13th, 2018
- Panthers' Devin Funchess (shoulder) officially active against Saints January 7th, 2018