Panthers want Cam Newton to run less and throw quicker
The Carolina Panthers want quarterback Cam Newton to run less and get rid of the ball more quickly, head coach Ron Rivera said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.
Their offseason tells the same story after Carolina drafted running back Christian McCaffrey and wide receiver Curtis Samuel, two players who should do most of their receiving damage around the line of scrimmage. That said, Newton has not been effective targeting players near the line, and it could be difficult for him to abandon his running ability - his strongest skill - in the heat of the moment. Along with his health, Newton's ability to adapt will be an important storyline to monitor in camp.
numberFire's models project Newton for 3,693 passing yards, 24.48 touchdowns, and 13.46 interceptions on 526 attempts this year, adding 528 rushing yards and 5.13 touchdowns on 92 carries. He's our seventh-best quarterback for fantasy purposes.
- Jamison Crowder catches 7 passes for career-high 141 yards on Thursday for Washington November 24th, 2017
- Vernon Davis comes up empty on Thanksgiving in Washington's win November 24th, 2017
- Dallas' Alfred Morris a non-factor in loss to Chargers November 23rd, 2017
- Rod Smith the only Cowboy to find the end zone in Thursday's Thanksgiving thrashing November 23rd, 2017
- Cowboys' Dez Bryant held in check in blowout loss November 23rd, 2017
- Tyrell Williams finds the end zone for the Chargers on Thursday November 23rd, 2017
- Greg Olsen (foot, IR) practicing for Panthers, remains on track for Week 12 return November 22nd, 2017
- Bills' Kelvin Benjamin (knee) avoids ligament damage, Week 12 status up in the air November 20th, 2017
- Panthers' Greg Olsen (foot) plans to play in Week 12 against the Jets November 20th, 2017
- Greg Olsen (foot) practicing for Panthers on Monday November 20th, 2017
- Panthers' Curtis Samuel (ankle) out for the season November 14th, 2017
- Greg Olsen (foot) expected to return for Panthers in Week 12 November 14th, 2017