Panthers want Cam Newton to run less and throw quicker
The Carolina Panthers want quarterback Cam Newton to run less and get rid of the ball more quickly, head coach Ron Rivera said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.
Their offseason tells the same story after Carolina drafted running back Christian McCaffrey and wide receiver Curtis Samuel, two players who should do most of their receiving damage around the line of scrimmage. That said, Newton has not been effective targeting players near the line, and it could be difficult for him to abandon his running ability - his strongest skill - in the heat of the moment. Along with his health, Newton's ability to adapt will be an important storyline to monitor in camp.
numberFire's models project Newton for 3,693 passing yards, 24.48 touchdowns, and 13.46 interceptions on 526 attempts this year, adding 528 rushing yards and 5.13 touchdowns on 92 carries. He's our seventh-best quarterback for fantasy purposes.
- Bills' Sammy Watkins (foot) "close to 100 percent" July 22nd, 2017
- Anquan Boldin to meet with Bills Monday July 21st, 2017
- Chargers' Mike Williams (back) may require season-ending surgery July 20th, 2017
- Cardinals and Chris Johnson agree to one-year deal July 20th, 2017
- Steelers' Le'Veon Bell offered more than $12 million a year July 18th, 2017
- Danny Woodhead best receiving back Ravens have had in years July 17th, 2017
- Panthers under Dave Gettleman were not interested in extending Greg Olsen July 17th, 2017
- Panthers' Christian McCaffrey and Cam Newton getting workout in July 16th, 2017
- Free agent DeAngelo Williams says he wouldn't play for four teams July 12th, 2017
- Panthers want Cam Newton to run less and throw quicker July 10th, 2017
- Jonathan Stewart should remain Panthers' lead back in 2017 July 6th, 2017
- Panthers' Thomas Davis hoping for contract extension June 30th, 2017