Packers' Ty Montgomery processing mental side of running back position
Green Bay Packers running back Ty Montgomery says he has a better understanding of the mental aspect of being a running back.
"I was running a lot on instincts. I knew where I was supposed to be going, but it was instinct," Montgomery said. "Now, I know techniques. I know rotations and understanding gap rules and what the defense is supposed to be doing. Now when I get out there, I know my reads." He enters OTAs atop the depth chart, but the Packers added competition after drafting three running backs, which indicates a likely committee in Green Bay.
Among the 56 running backs to see at least 75 carries last season, Montgomery finished in the top-10 with 0.08 Rushing Net Expected Points per attempt.
- 49ers' Carlos Hyde finds the end zone twice on Thursday September 22nd, 2017
- Sammy Watkins scores twice for the Rams before leaving with injury September 22nd, 2017
- Rams' Todd Gurley dominates in unexpected Thursday night shootout September 21st, 2017
- DeMarco Murray (hamstring) misses another Titans' practice September 21st, 2017
- Thomas Rawls could get more touches for Seattle moving forward September 21st, 2017
- Joe Mixon still trying to get up to speed in Bengals' offense September 21st, 2017
- Packers' Randall Cobb (chest) does not practice again on Thursday September 21st, 2017
- Packers expected to decrease Ty Montgomery's workload September 21st, 2017
- Packers' Jordy Nelson (quad) expects to play Sunday September 21st, 2017
- Randall Cobb (shoulder) did not practice with Packers on Wednesday September 20th, 2017
- Jordy Nelson (quad) returned to practice for Packers on Wednesday September 20th, 2017
- Martellus Bennett struggling with drops early in Packers' season September 19th, 2017