Packers' Ty Montgomery processing mental side of running back position
Green Bay Packers running back Ty Montgomery says he has a better understanding of the mental aspect of being a running back.
"I was running a lot on instincts. I knew where I was supposed to be going, but it was instinct," Montgomery said. "Now, I know techniques. I know rotations and understanding gap rules and what the defense is supposed to be doing. Now when I get out there, I know my reads." He enters OTAs atop the depth chart, but the Packers added competition after drafting three running backs, which indicates a likely committee in Green Bay.
Among the 56 running backs to see at least 75 carries last season, Montgomery finished in the top-10 with 0.08 Rushing Net Expected Points per attempt.
- Rams ink Brandin Cooks to a 5-year contract extension July 17th, 2018
- Steelers' Le'Veon Bell expected to skip training camp, report for Week 1 July 17th, 2018
- Saints' Cameron Meredith (knee) hopes to be ready for training camp July 17th, 2018
- Earl Thomas would like to be traded if Seahawks don't offer contract extension July 17th, 2018
- Rob Gronkowski won't hold out for Patriots' training camp July 17th, 2018
- Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald open to playing beyond 2018 July 17th, 2018
- Packers' Aaron Rodgers would 'love to play to 40' July 16th, 2018
- Packers running back Aaron Jones suspended two games July 3rd, 2018
- Randall Cobb reportedly dealing with ankle injury, could miss start of Packers' training camp June 25th, 2018
- DeShone Kizer and Brett Hundley struggling during Packers' minicamp June 21st, 2018
- Mike McCarthy: Packers using committee approach in backfield June 18th, 2018
- Ty Montgomery plays 'significant role' at Packers' OTAs June 11th, 2018