Kyle Shanahan convinced 49ers to select Joe Williams in fourth
San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan was the driving force behind the decision to trade up and select Utah Utes running back Joe Williams in the fourth round, according to The Monday Morning Quarterback's Peter King's personal account of the team's 2017 draft.
King was in the 49ers' draft room for all seven rounds. Williams was originally removed from the team's draft board entirely by new general manager John Lynch for off-field reasons, but that changed on day three per Shanahan's goading. As a 4.41 speedster with the head coach's seal of approval, Williams has a good chance to eat into Carlos Hyde's workload as a rookie.
In two seasons at Utah, Williams rushed for 1,884 yards on 314 carries (6.04 yards per carry) with 13 touchdowns. The 49ers finished 13th last season in schedule-adjusted Offensive Rushing Net Expected Points per play.
- Packers' Jimmy Graham could be split out wide more often this season July 20th, 2018
- Jets' ArDarius Stewart reportedly suspended 2 games for PEDs July 20th, 2018
- Deshaun Watson (knee) expects to be 'full-go' at Texans training camp July 20th, 2018
- Robby Anderson expected to evolve for Jets this season July 19th, 2018
- Allen Robinson (knee) to enter Bears' training camp without restrictions July 19th, 2018
- Julio Jones reportedly won't receive new deal from Falcons July 19th, 2018
- 49ers' Reuben Foster reports to Thursday's OTAs May 24th, 2018
- 49ers' Richard Sherman (Achilles) expects to be for training camp May 17th, 2018
- San Francisco 49ers move up in second round to draft WR Dante Pettis April 27th, 2018
- Patriots acquire OT Trent Brown from 49ers April 27th, 2018
- San Francisco 49ers draft OT Mike McGlinchey with ninth pick April 26th, 2018
- 49ers won't allow Reuben Foster to participate in team activities April 15th, 2018