Kyle Shanahan convinced 49ers to select Joe Williams in fourth
San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan was the driving force behind the decision to trade up and select Utah Utes running back Joe Williams in the fourth round, according to The Monday Morning Quarterback's Peter King's personal account of the team's 2017 draft.
King was in the 49ers' draft room for all seven rounds. Williams was originally removed from the team's draft board entirely by new general manager John Lynch for off-field reasons, but that changed on day three per Shanahan's goading. As a 4.41 speedster with the head coach's seal of approval, Williams has a good chance to eat into Carlos Hyde's workload as a rookie.
In two seasons at Utah, Williams rushed for 1,884 yards on 314 carries (6.04 yards per carry) with 13 touchdowns. The 49ers finished 13th last season in schedule-adjusted Offensive Rushing Net Expected Points per play.
- Bills' Josh Allen (elbow) suffered a UCL injury on Sunday October 15th, 2018
- Raiders looking for a 1st-round pick in exchange for Amari Cooper October 15th, 2018
- Rams' Cooper Kupp (knee) diagnosed with MCL sprain October 15th, 2018
- Steelers not expecting Le'Veon Bell to report this week October 15th, 2018
- Derek Carr (arm) reportedly won't miss start for Raiders October 15th, 2018
- Falcons 'hopeful' Mohamed Sanu (hip) will play Week 7 October 15th, 2018
- Pierre Garcon (shoulder) active for Niners on Monday night October 15th, 2018
- Matt Breida (ankle) active for the 49ers on Monday night October 15th, 2018
- George Kittle (knee) officially active for Niners on Monday night October 15th, 2018
- 49ers promote tight end, George Kittle (knee) could sit Monday October 15th, 2018
- Matt Breida reportedly 'pushing to play' for 49ers Monday October 15th, 2018
- San Francisco's Pierre Garcon (shoulder, knee) misses Friday's practice October 12th, 2018