Kyle Shanahan convinced 49ers to select Joe Williams in fourth
San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan was the driving force behind the decision to trade up and select Utah Utes running back Joe Williams in the fourth round, according to The Monday Morning Quarterback's Peter King's personal account of the team's 2017 draft.
King was in the 49ers' draft room for all seven rounds. Williams was originally removed from the team's draft board entirely by new general manager John Lynch for off-field reasons, but that changed on day three per Shanahan's goading. As a 4.41 speedster with the head coach's seal of approval, Williams has a good chance to eat into Carlos Hyde's workload as a rookie.
In two seasons at Utah, Williams rushed for 1,884 yards on 314 carries (6.04 yards per carry) with 13 touchdowns. The 49ers finished 13th last season in schedule-adjusted Offensive Rushing Net Expected Points per play.
- Rex Burkhead rushes for 2 TDs, including game-winner, in Patriots' AFC Championship win January 21st, 2019
- Sammy Watkins hauls in 114 receiving for Kansas City on Sunday January 21st, 2019
- Rob Gronkowski catches 6 passes for 79 yards for New England on Sunday January 21st, 2019
- Patrick Mahomes throws for 295 yards, 3 touchdowns in Chiefs' AFC title game defeat January 21st, 2019
- Chiefs' Damien Williams scores three touchdowns in AFC title game loss January 21st, 2019
- Tom Brady headed to ninth Super Bowl after passing for 348 yards in Patriots' AFC Championship win January 20th, 2019
- George Kittle breaks single season tight end receiving record in Week 17 December 30th, 2018
- Marquise Goodwin (calf) not practicing for 49ers Wednesday December 26th, 2018
- 49ers' Dante Pettis (MCL) will not play against Seattle in Week 17 December 24th, 2018
- San Francisco's Matt Breida (ankle) ruled out for Week 17 December 24th, 2018
- 49ers' Dante Pettis suffers MCL injury, out for finale December 24th, 2018
- 49ers remove Matt Breida from Week 16's final injury report December 21st, 2018