Brock Osweiler to compete for Browns' starting gig
Cleveland Browns quarterback Brock Osweiler will compete for the starting job, executive vice president Sashi Brown said Wednesday.
As NFL.com's Conor Orr points out, it's a pivot from previous comments coming out of Cleveland. The thinking since the Browns acquired Osweiler was that they would try to trade him for anything or simply release him and eat the contract. Osweiler has been present for the start of voluntary workouts and, for right now, is the current backup behind sophomore Cody Kessler.
Among the 39 quarterbacks to pick up at least 100 drop backs in 2016, Osweiler's was seventh-worst in Passing Net Expected Points per drop back. Kessler ranked 17th in the same analytic.
- Jameis Winston goes off for 384 passing yards and 3 scores in Bucs' loss October 22nd, 2017
- Jets' Josh McCown blows up for 4 touchdowns in Week 7 October 22nd, 2017
- Marcus Mariota underwhelms in Titans' OT win over Browns October 22nd, 2017
- Cardinals' Carson Palmer to have surgery on left arm, out eight weeks October 22nd, 2017
- Saints' Drew Brees records his second 300-yard game of the season October 22nd, 2017
- Mitch Trubisky completes just 4 passes in Bears' Week 7 win October 22nd, 2017
- Demaryius Thomas (calf) is active for Broncos against the Chargers October 22nd, 2017
- Demaryius Thomas (calf) back at Broncos' practice Thursday October 19th, 2017
- Jamaal Charles to 'get more and more touches' for Broncos October 19th, 2017
- Broncos' Demaryius Thomas (leg) is not practicing on Wednesday October 18th, 2017
- Bennie Fowler starting for the Broncos in Week 7 October 18th, 2017
- Broncos expect Trevor Siemian to be cleared for Week 7 October 16th, 2017