Brock Osweiler to compete for Browns' starting gig
Cleveland Browns quarterback Brock Osweiler will compete for the starting job, executive vice president Sashi Brown said Wednesday.
As NFL.com's Conor Orr points out, it's a pivot from previous comments coming out of Cleveland. The thinking since the Browns acquired Osweiler was that they would try to trade him for anything or simply release him and eat the contract. Osweiler has been present for the start of voluntary workouts and, for right now, is the current backup behind sophomore Cody Kessler.
Among the 39 quarterbacks to pick up at least 100 drop backs in 2016, Osweiler's was seventh-worst in Passing Net Expected Points per drop back. Kessler ranked 17th in the same analytic.
- Eagles' Wendell Smallwood (hamstring) will not play Thursday August 17th, 2017
- Dez Bryant to make preseason debut for Cowboys on Saturday August 17th, 2017
- Steelers' JuJu Smith-Schuster dealing with bone bruise August 17th, 2017
- Bills rule Jordan Matthews (chest) inactive for Thursday night August 17th, 2017
- Jay Ajayi (concussion) will start for Miami on Thursday night August 17th, 2017
- Kenny Golladay not a first-team lock for Lions August 17th, 2017
- Matt Dayes could be surprise challenger in Browns' backfield August 17th, 2017
- Josh Gordon's reinstatement not actively being considered by NFL August 17th, 2017
- Brock Osweiler will start Browns' second preseason game August 16th, 2017
- DeShone Kizer impresses, Browns unwilling to name him starter August 11th, 2017
- Browns had no interest in trading Brock Osweiler to Dolphins August 7th, 2017
- Brock Osweiler to start Browns' first preseason game August 7th, 2017