Brock Osweiler to compete for Browns' starting gig
Cleveland Browns quarterback Brock Osweiler will compete for the starting job, executive vice president Sashi Brown said Wednesday.
As NFL.com's Conor Orr points out, it's a pivot from previous comments coming out of Cleveland. The thinking since the Browns acquired Osweiler was that they would try to trade him for anything or simply release him and eat the contract. Osweiler has been present for the start of voluntary workouts and, for right now, is the current backup behind sophomore Cody Kessler.
Among the 39 quarterbacks to pick up at least 100 drop backs in 2016, Osweiler's was seventh-worst in Passing Net Expected Points per drop back. Kessler ranked 17th in the same analytic.
- Giants add Wayne Gallman to running back core with the 140th pick April 29th, 2017
- Packers draft BYU running back Jamaal Williams April 29th, 2017
- 49ers move up to draft Joe Williams at 121 April 29th, 2017
- Redskins take Samaje Perine 114th overall April 29th, 2017
- 49ers acquire Kapri Bibbs from Broncos for a 2018 fourth-round pick April 29th, 2017
- Jaguars select Dede Westbrook at 110th overall April 29th, 2017
- D'Onta Foreman stays in Texas, with Texans at 89th overall April 29th, 2017
- Zach Cunningham joins Texans' linebacker corps at 57th overall April 28th, 2017
- Tom Savage should lead the charge for Texans into 2017 April 28th, 2017
- Texans trade up to the 12th pick for Deshaun Watson April 27th, 2017
- Tom Savage believes he can stay healthy for Texans in 2017 April 19th, 2017
- Tony Romo's options are either Texans or retirement March 27th, 2017