Brock Osweiler to compete for Browns' starting gig
Cleveland Browns quarterback Brock Osweiler will compete for the starting job, executive vice president Sashi Brown said Wednesday.
As NFL.com's Conor Orr points out, it's a pivot from previous comments coming out of Cleveland. The thinking since the Browns acquired Osweiler was that they would try to trade him for anything or simply release him and eat the contract. Osweiler has been present for the start of voluntary workouts and, for right now, is the current backup behind sophomore Cody Kessler.
Among the 39 quarterbacks to pick up at least 100 drop backs in 2016, Osweiler's was seventh-worst in Passing Net Expected Points per drop back. Kessler ranked 17th in the same analytic.
- Dallas Goedert could feature in red-zone immediately for Eagles June 17th, 2018
- Jets not giving up on ArDarius Stewart June 17th, 2018
- Raiders' Martavis Bryant could be facing another suspension June 15th, 2018
- Panthers' first-round wideout D.J. Moore 'more than ready to contribute' June 15th, 2018
- Patrick Peterson embracing new role in Cardinals' secondary June 15th, 2018
- Elijah McGuire pegged as Jets' third-down running back June 15th, 2018
- Dolphins unsure of Mike Gesicki's role to start the season June 9th, 2018
- Dolphins taking it easy with DeVante Parker heading into the 2018 season June 1st, 2018
- Ryan Tannehill (knee) to 'do everything' at Dolphins' OTAs May 22nd, 2018
- Gase: Dolphins' DeVante Parker doing 'a great job' so far this offseason May 10th, 2018
- Dolphins acquire Akeem Spence in trade with Lions May 3rd, 2018
- Miami Dolphins select TE Mike Gesicki with the 42nd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft April 27th, 2018