Packers save $9 million by releasing Sam Shields (concussion)
The Green Bay Packers released defensive back Sam Shields.
This announcement comes via Shields' Instagram account. He played in just one game this season after suffering a concussion in Week 1, leaving some to wonder if the 29-year-old corner should call it a career due to his repeated issues with severe head trauma. Shields remains a high-level talent when healthy, but he was still in concussion protocol as of late January, so we'll see how the market shakes out. The Packers get $9 million off their books as a result of the move.
The Packers' secondary ranked 10th-worst this past season in opponent-adjusted Defensive Passing Net Expected Points allowed per play.
- Miles Sanders touches ball five times in Eagles loss September 28th, 2021
- Cowboys' Dalton Schultz scores twice in victory September 28th, 2021
- X-rays for Bucs' Rob Gronkowski (ribs) come back negative September 27th, 2021
- Bucs' Giovani Bernard "day-to-day" with a sprained MCL September 27th, 2021
- Bucs' Scott Miller dealing with "pretty severe" turf toe September 27th, 2021
- Titans' A.J. Brown (hamstring) considered week-to-week September 27th, 2021
- Rams "hopeful" Darrell Henderson (ribs) will return for Week 4 September 27th, 2021
- Cooper Kupp continues dominance in Rams' win against Tampa Bay September 26th, 2021
- Rams' Darrell Henderson (ribs) officially inactive for Week 3 September 26th, 2021
- Rams' Darrell Henderson (ribs) unlikely to play Sunday September 26th, 2021
- Rams' Darrell Henderson (ribs) a game-time decision for Week 3 September 24th, 2021
- Rams holding Darrell Henderson out with rib injury September 23rd, 2021