Rex Grossman said he could be ready for Jets in a week
Former Washington and Chicago quarterback Rex Grossman said that he could be ready for the New York Jets in a week or so.
Grossman, who hasn't played in the NFL since 2013, said that he sprained his foot while training and is waiting for it to heal. With Geno Smith sidelined for 6 to 10 weeks, the team will turn to Ryan Fitzpatrick to start. Bryce Petty is not expected to be NFL-ready yet, so the team is looking for a veteran quarterback.
According to our Passing Net Expected Points (NEP) metric, which compares a player's performance to expectation level, Grossman has never been an above-replacement-level quarterback. Grossman's "best" season came in 2011 when he finished just 2.90 points below expectation in terms of adding points to his team's expected outcome. In 2006, when the Bears made the Super Bowl, Grossman's Passing NEP was -31.82.
- J.J. Watt announces contract with Cardinals March 1st, 2021
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson open to Cowboys, Saints, Raiders, Bears February 25th, 2021
- Eagles sending Carson Wentz to Colts in exchange for pair of picks February 18th, 2021
- J.J. Watt granted release from Texans February 12th, 2021
- Chiefs' Sammy Watkins (calf) active for Super Bowl clash with Tampa Bay February 7th, 2021
- Cameron Brate (back) cleared to play in Super Bowl for Buccaneers February 7th, 2021
- Rapoport: Alex Smith, Washington to part ways March 1st, 2021
- Football Team's Antonio Gibson (toe) will not require surgery January 10th, 2021
- Washington's Taylor Heinecke starting under center on Saturday January 9th, 2021
- Alex Smith (calf) inactive for Washington in Saturday's Wild Card game January 9th, 2021
- Alex Smith (calf) upgraded as Washington prepares for Buccaneers January 7th, 2021
- Terry McLaurin (ankle) returns to Football Team practice January 7th, 2021