Packers to release Sam Shields this offseason
The Green Bay Packers are expected to release cornerback Sam Shields this offseason, ESPN reporter Rob Demovsky says.
Shields went down in Week 1 with a concussion that ultimately landed him on injured reserve. Cornerback is arguably the Packers' biggest need, even though they're one of the final four teams standing heading into championship weekend, but Shields is unlikely to be a solution to the problem. He has one year left on his contract, and Green Bay can save $9 million by releasing Shields. He's still just 29, but it's fair to wonder about his playing future after a serious concussion.
The Packers' secondary ranks 10th-worst in opponent-adjusted Defensive Passing Net Expected Points per play in 2016.
- Miles Sanders touches ball five times in Eagles loss September 28th, 2021
- Cowboys' Dalton Schultz scores twice in victory September 28th, 2021
- X-rays for Bucs' Rob Gronkowski (ribs) come back negative September 27th, 2021
- Bucs' Giovani Bernard "day-to-day" with a sprained MCL September 27th, 2021
- Bucs' Scott Miller dealing with "pretty severe" turf toe September 27th, 2021
- Titans' A.J. Brown (hamstring) considered week-to-week September 27th, 2021
- Rams "hopeful" Darrell Henderson (ribs) will return for Week 4 September 27th, 2021
- Cooper Kupp continues dominance in Rams' win against Tampa Bay September 26th, 2021
- Rams' Darrell Henderson (ribs) officially inactive for Week 3 September 26th, 2021
- Rams' Darrell Henderson (ribs) unlikely to play Sunday September 26th, 2021
- Rams' Darrell Henderson (ribs) a game-time decision for Week 3 September 24th, 2021
- Rams holding Darrell Henderson out with rib injury September 23rd, 2021