Giants admit Eli Manning is in decline
New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning is "probably on the back nine of his career," general manager Jerry Reese admitted Monday.
The admission that Manning is in decline is notable, and probably not something we'd hear from other teams about their 35-or-older quarterbacks, like 39-year-old Tom Brady or even 35-year-old Philip Rivers. The Giants need to structure their offense to move away from Eli as the centerpiece. Reese said he doesn't think Eli is "ancient" -- and he isn't, at 36 -- but that doesn't mean he can't be getting worse as he ages.
39 quarterbacks dropped back at least 100 times this year, and Manning's Passing Net Expected Points per drop back ranked 24th among them. His rate was lower than even Matt Barkley's and a similarly in-decline Carson Palmer.
- Jaguars' Dede Westbrook projected for minor impact in AFC Championship January 18th, 2018
- Eagles' Nelson Agholor will try to bounce back in NFC Championship January 18th, 2018
- Eagles' Jake Elliott projected for minimal action in NFC Championship Game January 18th, 2018
- Jaguars' Allen Hurns projected for another quiet performance in AFC Championship January 18th, 2018
- Keelan Cole projected to play a minimal role in AFC Championship Game for Jaguars January 18th, 2018
- Chris Hogan ready to play as much as possible for New England in AFC Championship Game January 18th, 2018
- Eli Manning struggles in Giants' season finale December 31st, 2017
- Giants' Evan Engram (ribs) will sit out Week 17 against Washington December 29th, 2017
- Giants' Sterling Shepard (neck) to miss out on season finale December 29th, 2017
- Giants want Eli Manning to take 'every snap' Sunday December 28th, 2017
- Giants reportedly planning to move on from Eli Apple this offseason December 27th, 2017
- Giants suspend Eli Apple for regular season finale December 27th, 2017