49ers release Aldon Smith
The San Francisco 49ers have released outside linebacker Aldon Smith.
Smith's DUI arrest on Friday morning was the last straw for the 49ers organization. Smith is yet another impact player the 49ers have lost on defense this offseason.
The 49ers ranked 14th in our schedule-adjusted Overall Defense Net Expected Points metric last season. However, they will be depleted of defensive talent entering this upcoming season. Smith posted 33.5 sacks during his first two seasons in the NFL, but his impact has fallen fast as he has missed 14 games and posted 10.5 sacks the past two seasons.
- Anderson: Giants reportedly sign Kenny Golladay to 4-year, $40 million guaranteed contract March 20th, 2021
- Texans reportedly agree to 1-year contract with Phillip Lindsay March 20th, 2021
- Steelers reportedly resign JuJu Smith-Schuster to 1-year, $8 million deal March 19th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign Will Fuller to 1-year contract March 18th, 2021
- Cardinals reportedly sign wide receiver A.J. Green to 1-year deal March 17th, 2021
- Rapoport: Dolphins reportedly sign running back Malcolm Brown March 16th, 2021
- Cowboys and quarterback Dak Prescott agree to new contract March 8th, 2021
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson open to Cowboys, Saints, Raiders, Bears February 25th, 2021
- Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott (calf) looks fresh in Week 16 return against Eagles December 28th, 2020
- CeeDee Lamb scores via air, ground for Dallas December 28th, 2020
- Michael Gallup gains 121 yards, scores twice in Cowboys victory December 28th, 2020
- Cowboys' Andy Dalton explodes for 377 yards and 3 touchdowns in Week 16's divisional win over Eagles December 28th, 2020