Chargers' Austin Ekeler requests permission to seek potential trade
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Los Angeles Chargers running back Austin Ekeler has requested permission from the team to contact other teams about a potential trade.
Ekeler's agent, Cameron Weiss, reportedly told ESPN that the star running back had requested a contract extension with the Chargers, but that preliminary talks with the team "did not progress". Other teams may take an interest in Ekeler's skills in both the passing and rushing game, though he may struggle to find many willing suitors given the current group of running backs available in free agency.
Ekeler has led the league in touchdowns from scrimmage in each of the past two seasons and has proven himself as a dependable, every-down back over the course of the three seasons since the departure of Melvin Gordon. The Chargers have tried and failed to find a reliable second running back since Gordon's departure as well, and Ekeler has remained the only back on the team capable of success in that time.
- Packers' Luke Musgrave 'earning first team reps' June 1st, 2023
- Browns 'want to get' wide receiver Elijah Moore the ball in 2023 June 1st, 2023
- Jets' Robert Saleh 'very optimistic' about Week 1 return for Breece Hall (ACL) June 1st, 2023
- Raiders significantly rework contract with Jimmy Garoppolo (foot) following failed physical May 28th, 2023
- Cardinals release wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins on Friday May 26th, 2023
- Geno Smith: Seahawks' Jaxon Smith-Njigba (hamstring) going to be 'tremendous' May 25th, 2023
- Austin Ekeler adds incentives, staying with Chargers May 23rd, 2023
- Chargers select Quentin Johnston with 21st pick of 2023 NFL Draft April 27th, 2023
- Chargers' Austin Ekeler requests permission to seek potential trade March 13th, 2023
- Mike Williams (back) ruled out for Chargers' Wild Card matchup January 13th, 2023
- Chargers' Mike Williams (back) questionable for Wild Card January 12th, 2023
- Mike Williams (back) missing from Chargers practice again Wednesday January 11th, 2023