Patriots send tight end Jonnu Smith to Falcons via trade
The New England Patriots have traded tight end Jonnu Smith to the Atlanta Falcons in return for a seventh-round pick, Ian Rapoport reports.
The Patriots made waves just two off-seasons ago when they signed tight ends Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry to market-setting free agent deals on back-to-back days to open free agency, but whereas Henry found a near-every-down role in the team's offense, Smith struggled to find the field. The former Tennessee Titan will now join a Falcons team led by the offensive coordinator from his time in Tennessee, Arthur Smith.
Smith never fully caught on with the Patriots, but his elite athleticism at the position did yield and 8-touchdown, 448-yard season in his final year in Tennessee. He should help provide depth at the position as Kyle Pitts recovers from the knee injury that ended his 2022 campaign.
- Raiders significantly rework contract with Jimmy Garoppolo (foot) following failed physical May 28th, 2023
- Cardinals release wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins on Friday May 26th, 2023
- Geno Smith: Seahawks' Jaxon Smith-Njigba (hamstring) going to be 'tremendous' May 25th, 2023
- Trey Lance working with 49ers' first unit in OTAs May 25th, 2023
- 49ers' Brock Purdy (elbow) on track to begin throwing in June May 25th, 2023
- Jonathan Taylor (ankle) sidelined for Colts OTAs, planning for training camp return May 25th, 2023
- Kyle Pitts (knee) not participating in Falcons' OTAs May 25th, 2023
- Atlanta selects Bijan Robinson eighth in 2023 NFL Draft April 27th, 2023
- Patriots send tight end Jonnu Smith to Falcons via trade March 13th, 2023
- Falcons release Marcus Mariota February 28th, 2023
- Drake London (foot) returns for Falcons in Week 18 January 8th, 2023
- Falcons' Drake London (foot) questionable to return in Week 18 January 8th, 2023