Commanders release quarterback Carson Wentz
The Washington Commanders announced Monday that they have released quarterback Carson Wentz.
Wentz will enter free agency for the first time in his career after a disappointing season with the Commanders, who traded second- and third-round picks to the Colts for the veteran and a later second-round pick just one offseason ago. Wentz could still find a starting job with a new team by the end of the offseason, but teams will certainly investigate options like Derek Carr (a free agent) and Aaron Rodgers before committing to Wentz. The team already declared that 2022 fifth-round pick Sam Howell will be their starting quarterback for the 2023 season, but the Commanders could be among the teams looking to land a new quarterback in the NFL Draft.
Wentz threw seven touchdowns in the Commanders' first two games in 2022, but finished his final six games with the team by only throwing four more afterwards. Injuries played a part in his poor performance down the stretch in Washington, but the former Eagles and Colts quarterback was unable to outplay teammates like Taylor Heinicke and Sam Howell.
- Raiders significantly rework contract with Jimmy Garoppolo (foot) following failed physical May 28th, 2023
- Cardinals release wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins on Friday May 26th, 2023
- Geno Smith: Seahawks' Jaxon Smith-Njigba (hamstring) going to be 'tremendous' May 25th, 2023
- Trey Lance working with 49ers' first unit in OTAs May 25th, 2023
- 49ers' Brock Purdy (elbow) on track to begin throwing in June May 25th, 2023
- Jonathan Taylor (ankle) sidelined for Colts OTAs, planning for training camp return May 25th, 2023
- Jacoby Brissett signing with Commanders for 2023 March 15th, 2023
- Sam Howell in lead for Commanders starting job February 28th, 2023
- Commanders release quarterback Carson Wentz February 27th, 2023
- Washington's Brian Robinson (knee) ruled out in Week 18 January 6th, 2023
- Brian Robinson (knee) remains out at Washington practice January 5th, 2023
- Commanders place Antonio Gibson (knee, foot) on injured reserve January 5th, 2023