Sam Howell named Commanders' Week 18 starter
Washington Commanders rookie quarterback Sam Howell will start Week 18 against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, head coach Ron Rivera announced.
Howell will start in his NFL debut and Taylor Heinicke will be the backup. Carson Wentz is expected to be a healthy scratch. In three preseason games, Howell completed 43 of 69 attempts for 547 yards with a touchdown and an interception. He also rushed 13 times for 94 yards and a pair of touchdowns.
Howell showed some sneaky fantasy potential in the preseason, with a 10.3-yard average depth of target and the rushing production, but he will have a much tougher opponent in Week 18. The Cowboys have the No. 5 pass defense and No. 3 overall defense in numberFire's season-long adjusted team rankings. Dallas is also allowing the seventh-fewest FanDuel points per game to the quarterback position this season.
- Irv Smith Jr. agreeing on deal with Bengals March 28th, 2023
- Saints' Michael Thomas (toe) still recovering March 28th, 2023
- Panthers' D.J. Chark underwent recent ankle surgery March 28th, 2023
- Broncos 'won't know...for a while' about Javonte Williams' (knee) health March 27th, 2023
- Bills want Josh Allen (elbow) taking fewer hits in 2023 March 27th, 2023
- Ravens' John Harbaugh a 'big believer' in Rashod Bateman (foot) March 27th, 2023
- Jacoby Brissett signing with Commanders for 2023 March 15th, 2023
- Sam Howell in lead for Commanders starting job February 28th, 2023
- Commanders release quarterback Carson Wentz February 27th, 2023
- Washington's Brian Robinson (knee) ruled out in Week 18 January 6th, 2023
- Brian Robinson (knee) remains out at Washington practice January 5th, 2023
- Commanders place Antonio Gibson (knee, foot) on injured reserve January 5th, 2023