Steelers' Chase Claypool hoping for more 'down the field' plays going forward
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Chase Claypool told reporters that he thinks the team "could throw it down the field," following Sunday's Week 2 loss to the New England Patriots.
"I think we were calling good plays today and all that but I just think we could throw it down the field," Claypool said following the loss. The Steelers' offense has not appeared to have changed much since Ben Roethlisberger's uninspiring final two seasons as the starting quarterback, with starting quarterback Mitchell Trubisky averaging just 5.2 air yards per completed pass attempt, the eighth-lowest mark among quarterbacks in the league.
Claypool himself has an average depth of target of just 5.7 yards, which ranks outside the top 100 among pass-catchers in the league. The talented third-year receiver has been more involved in the team's offense than he was in his disappointing sophomore season, but - like the rest of his teammates - would stand to benefit from more opportunities for explosive plays.
- 49ers' Brock Purdy dealing with torn UCL injury; expected to miss six months January 30th, 2023
- Kadarius Toney (ankle) questionable to return for Chiefs in AFC Championship Game January 29th, 2023
- Justin Watson (illness) won't play for Chiefs in AFC Championship Game January 29th, 2023
- Update: Josh Johnson (concussion) ruled out for 49ers in NFC Championship Game; Brock Purdy (elbow) remains at quarterback January 29th, 2023
- Mecole Hardman (pelvis) will play in AFC Championship Game for Kansas City January 29th, 2023
- Travis Kelce (back) active for Chiefs in AFC Championship Game January 29th, 2023
- Bears starting Nathan Peterman to finish season January 4th, 2023
- Justin Fields (hip) ruled out for Bears Week 18 versus Vikings January 4th, 2023
- Chase Claypool (knee) cleared for Bears in Week 17 January 1st, 2023
- Bears expect wideout Chase Claypool (knee) to play in Week 17 January 1st, 2023
- Chicago's Chase Claypool (knee) questionable in Week 17 December 30th, 2022
- Chase Claypool (knee) ruled out Week 16 for Chicago December 24th, 2022