49ers pay tribute to Trey Sermon at training camp
San Francisco 49ers running back Trey Sermon is "doing a great job" at training camp and "has improved on so many things from last year," according to head coach Kyle Shanahan.
This is the second time in a little over a month that Shanahan has sung Sermon's praises, which is notable after the running back seemed to spend most of his rookie season in the coach's doghouse. Elijah Mitchell is still expected to be the 49ers' top back in 2022, but Sermon could carve out a meaningful role for himself with a strong preseason showing.
numberFire's models currently project Sermon for just 10.2 carries this season, which is fifth on the team. However, he actually finished a touch above Mitchell in terms of advanced efficiency last season. Among the 83 backs with 40-plus carries in 2021, Sermon ranked 49th (0.00) and Mitchell was 50th (negative-0.01) in Rushing Net Expected Points per carry.
- Jaguars' Zay Jones (ankle) questionable for Week 4 September 30th, 2022
- Broncos' Melvin Gordon (neck) available for Week 4 September 30th, 2022
- Lions' T.J. Hockenson (foot) available for Week 4 September 30th, 2022
- Jakobi Meyers (knee) questionable for Patriots' Week 4 matchup versus Packers September 30th, 2022
- Hunter Renfrow (concussion) remains out for Raiders in Week 4 September 30th, 2022
- Detroit's D'Andre Swift (ankle/shoulder) ruled out in Week 4 September 30th, 2022
- Miles Sanders (hip) logs full practice Thursday for Eagles September 29th, 2022
- Eagles' DeVonta Smith (back) logs full practice on Thursday September 29th, 2022
- Eagles list Miles Sanders (hip) as limited during Wednesday's practice September 28th, 2022
- Philadelphia's Miles Sanders (hamstring) fully practices on Wednesday September 7th, 2022
- Eagles' Miles Sanders (hamstring) back at practice on Thursday September 1st, 2022
- Eagles claim running back Trey Sermon off waivers on Thursday September 1st, 2022