Rapoport: Baker Mayfield favorite to win Panthers' job
Carolina Panthers quarterback Baker Mayfield is the favorite to win the starting job, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
Rapoport says Mayfield's "understanding" of the offense and "command" in the Panthers' locker room have put the quarterback in position to start Week 1 against the Cleveland Browns. Sam Darnold could still theoretically steal the job away with a stellar preseason showing, but it looks like Mayfield's first start for Carolina will be against his former team. A healthy Mayfield should prove to be an upgrade for the Panthers' pass-catchers and Christian McCaffrey.
Baker is currently the QB27 in numberFire's preseason projections and our models project him for 3,914.2 passing yards, 23.03 touchdowns, and 15.6 interceptions this season, with 192.3 rushing yards and 1.51 touchdowns. Among the 44 quarterbacks with at least 100 drop backs last season, Baker ranked 33rd in Passing Net Expected Points per drop back (0.00) while Darnold ranked 38th (negative-0.10).
- New England's JuJu Smith-Schuster (ankle) limited on Tuesday December 5th, 2023
- DeVante Parker (knee) limited for New England on Tuesday December 5th, 2023
- Patriots' Ezekiel Elliott (thigh) removed from injury report on Tuesday December 5th, 2023
- Patriots' Demario Douglas (concussion) DNP again on Tuesday December 5th, 2023
- Pittsburgh's Najee Harris (knee) DNP on Tuesday December 5th, 2023
- Giants will start Tommy DeVito at quarterback in Week 13 December 5th, 2023
- Chris Godwin (neck) active for Bucs in Week 13 December 3rd, 2023
- Bucs' Chris Godwin (neck) a game-time decision for Week 13 December 3rd, 2023
- Chris Godwin (neck) added to Buccaneers injury report Thursday November 30th, 2023
- Buccaneers' Baker Mayfield (ankle) practicing in full on Thursday November 30th, 2023
- Buccaneers' Baker Mayfield (ankle) feeling better, expected to play Week 13 November 29th, 2023
- Baker Mayfield (ankle) could be limited in Buccaneers Week 13 prep November 29th, 2023