Saints and quarterback Jameis Winston agree to two-year contract
The New Orleans Saints have re-signed quarterback Jameis Winston to a two-year contract with a base value of $28 million, Tom Pelissero reports.
The contract also includes $21 million in guarantees, implying that the team views Winston as their starter for at least the upcoming 2022 season. Winston helped the Saints jump out to a 5-2 record last season before suffering a torn ACL injury. While the team was reportedly in the running to trade for Deshaun Watson, they have now instead decided to return to Winston for at least one more year.
The Saints limited Winston's volume as a passer last season, but the veteran quietly posted one of the more efficient seasons of his career, averaging a career-best 8.21 average adjusted yards per attempt. He completed 89 of 151 attempts for 1,114 yards, 13 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions. That he did this with the Saints' barren receiver depth chart without Michael Thomas bodes well for his 2022 outlook with what ought to be an improved group of pass-catchers.
- Browns' Kareem Hunt feels '100 percent' healthy June 29th, 2022
- Terry McLaurin signs three-year $71 million contract extension with Washington June 29th, 2022
- Giants' Kadarius Toney (knee) a surprise PUP-list candidate June 27th, 2022
- Chargers' Austin Ekeler excited for increased backfield competition June 27th, 2022
- Falcons were blown away by Drake London's physicality on college tape June 27th, 2022
- Cardinals' Eno Benjamin "the frontrunner" to back up James Conner June 27th, 2022
- Saints' Alvin Kamara anticipating 6-game suspension June 24th, 2022
- Jameis Winston (knee) active at Saints OTAs May 26th, 2022
- Saints' Michael Thomas still has "a few hurdles" to climb in return from ankle injury May 6th, 2022
- Saints trade up, select Chris Olave eleventh overall April 28th, 2022
- Saints re-sign receiver Tre'Quan Smith March 28th, 2022
- Saints and quarterback Jameis Winston agree to two-year contract March 21st, 2022