Elijah Mitchell 'stepped up' for 49ers in backfield quagmire
San Francisco 49ers sixth-round rookie running back Elijah Mitchell "stepped up" in Sunday's victory over the Detroit Lions after Raheem Mostert left with a knee injury.
Mostert exited in the first quarter and it was Mitchell who went on to rush 19 times for 104 yards and a touchdown in San Francisco's 41-33 victory. "Elijah stepped up when his number was called and got on a roll,". 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo said. "Obviously, nothing is ever perfect, but for a rookie to come in and play that well, it was impressive.” Garoppolo did say that Mitchell's pass blocking was "up and down," but that tends to be the norm for rookie backs. The sixth-round pick was surprisingly active over third-rounder Trey Sermon and JaMycal Hasty only ran the ball once. However, despite the strong debut, 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan insisted after Sunday's game that there was no firm pecking order in the backfield. Mostert is looking at an eight-week absence, so Mitchell may have earned a meaningful role moving forward, even if Sermon is active for Week 2 against the Philadelphia Eagles.
Mitchell scored 16.4 FanDuel points in Week 1 and he played 63.6% of the offensive snaps. Through 14 games this season, the Eagles defense ranks 20th in Rushing Net Expected Points allowed per attempt.
- Jalen Hurts (ankle) still Eagles starter when healthy December 7th, 2021
- Justin Fields (ribs) uncertain for Bears in Week 14 December 7th, 2021
- Seahawks expect Alex Collins (abdomen) to play Week 14 December 7th, 2021
- Browns put David Njoku on COVID-19 list December 7th, 2021
- Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder) practicing in full for Steelers December 7th, 2021
- Vikings' Dalvin Cook (shoulder) turns in limited practice session December 7th, 2021
- 49ers' Jeff Wilson dealing with knee injury December 7th, 2021
- Deebo Samuel (groin) day-to-day for 49ers December 7th, 2021
- 49ers' Elijah Mitchell in league concussion protocols December 6th, 2021
- 49ers place Trey Sermon (ankle) on injured reserve December 4th, 2021
- 49ers' Deebo Samuel (groin) officially ruled out for Week 13 December 3rd, 2021
- Jauan Jennings could be 49ers No. 2 wideout Week 13 November 30th, 2021