Patriots' Mac Jones forcing 'real competition' with Cam Newton
New England Patriots rookie quarterback Mac Jones "has done enough in the spring to merit a real competition with Cam Newton in the summer," according to Albert Breer of SI.com.
Jeff Howe of The Athletic reported last week that Jones was the Patriots' best quarterback during minicamp. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has praised Newton multiple times, but Jones has a real shot at winning the starting job before Week 1.
Jones completed 77.4 percent of his passes for Alabama in 2020, finishing with 4,500 passing yards and 41 touchdowns against just 4 interceptions. He posted a college QBR of 96.1, ranking in the 100th percentile according to PlayerProfiler. He also managed 11.2 yards per attempt (97th percentile).
- T.J. Hockenson standing out at Lions training camp August 1st, 2021
- 49ers' Trey Lance begins practicing designed run plays in training camp August 1st, 2021
- Dolphins' Mike Gesicki one of three Miami tight ends placed on reserve/COVID-19 list on Sunday August 1st, 2021
- Colts' Carson Wentz set to rehab foot injury before deciding on surgery August 1st, 2021
- Browns ink running back Nick Chubb to 3-year extension August 1st, 2021
- Pittsburgh's JuJu Smith-Schuster reportedly seeing 'limited to no outside work' during training camp July 30th, 2021
- Belichick: New England's Damien Harris 'can compete for the top role now' July 29th, 2021
- Jonnu Smith (hamstring) reportedly will be ready for Patriots' training camp July 20th, 2021
- Damien Harris 'surefire No.1' in Patriots backfield July 13th, 2021
- N'Keal Harry requests trade from Patriots July 6th, 2021
- Patriots' Mac Jones forcing 'real competition' with Cam Newton June 21st, 2021
- Pats' Mac Jones playing behind Jarrett Stidham in "every period" June 14th, 2021