49ers' Trey Sermon exceeding expectations at OTAs
San Francisco 49ers rookie running back Trey Sermon is ahead of the curve at OTAs, writes to Jennifer Lee Chan of NBC Sports Bay Area.
The 49ers are limiting Raheem Mostert at this point in the offseason and Jeff Wilson (knee) is expected to be out through the start of the regular season, so Sermon is working as the lead back. He is already putting his dual-threat ability on display by both taking handoffs and catching passes out of the backfield. Sermon will likely be stuck in a committee to start the season, but he has the tools to eventually take over as a workhorse in Kyle Shanahan's scheme. The backfield roster also includes Wayne Gallman, JaMycal Hasty, and 2021 sixth-rounder Elijah Mitchell.
Sermon is currently the RB28 and Mostert is the RB31 in numberFire's preseason fantasy rankings. Our models project the third-rounder for 170.9 carries, 21.1 receptions, 931.9 yards, and 8.5 touchdowns. Mostert is expected to record 152.5 carries with 22.2 catches and Gallman is expected to siphon away 77.3 touches.
- Belichick: New England's Damien Harris 'can compete for the top role now' July 29th, 2021
- Cowboys' Dak Prescott (shoulder) diagnosed with muscle strain, exits practice early on Wednesday July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Kenyan Drake placed on non-football injury list July 28th, 2021
- Jets' Chris Herndon working with second string July 28th, 2021
- Michael Carter opens camp with Jets' first team July 28th, 2021
- Raiders' Henry Ruggs focusing on playing stronger July 28th, 2021
- Brandon Aiyuk an 'excellent accomplice' for 49ers' Trey Lance July 6th, 2021
- 49ers' Trey Sermon exceeding expectations at OTAs June 14th, 2021
- San Francisco's Trent Williams (elbow) out for Week 17's contest against Seahawks December 28th, 2020
- Brandon Aiyuk out for 49ers' finale with high-ankle sprain December 28th, 2020
- 49ers' George Kittle (foot) active for Week 16 December 26th, 2020
- 49ers officially place Nick Mullens (elbow) on injured reserve December 25th, 2020